The Quilter's Apprentice, by Jennifer Chiaverini

krisis86's review against another edition

This is one of those books where I felt like I was reading a summary of a novel. There was very, very little dialogue. The story was forced and slow. If I were more of a quilter, the story may have meant more to me, but alas, I am craft challenged and the whole plot seemed random and meh. I might pick up another Elm Creek novel, but only if there's nothing else to read.

tzvi91's review against another edition

see my review at http://scribblereviews.blogspot.com/2009/11/quilters-apprentice-book-review.html

webmouse's review against another edition

It was fine. The story was mostly interesting, but the over dramatic actions/reactions of each character to emotional issues was exhausting and I probably won't continue this series.

jknock's review against another edition

A quick, lite read. Unfortunately it is also a bit forgettable.

thehlb's review against another edition

Nice little story. Perhaps a little flat and predictable, but fun to read. I think her "Mrs. Lincoln" books showed more depth of story, but then they were much later novels. I liked it enough that I'll check out the others in the series eventually. It definitely made me want to start quilting again.

lorihenrich2021's review against another edition

I loved this story. I almost decided not to read it. Why? I have no idea. It was a beautifully put together story of love, family and healing.

Sarah is happily married still in that wonderful newlywed stage of life. Matt works at the college helping to maintain the campus. Sarah is working in an accounting firm where she feels stuck. Matt loses his job at the college and is struggling to find a permanent full time job. He does find a job opportunity, but it means pulling up stakes and moving. The work Matt is doing is for a landscaping company. Sarah struggles to find another job in her field, even though she is not even sure she wants another accounting job.

Then Sarah meets Mrs. Compson, the owner of Elk Creek Manor. Matt is hired to spruce up the grounds so they can be ready for the new owner. Mrs. Compson hires Sarah to help her clean up the Manor and sort through the items that have begun to clutter in the many rooms. Sarah decides to take the job with one condition. Sarah wants Mrs. Compson to teach her how to quilt. She has always wanted to learn how and Mrs. Compson agrees.

What follows is shared memories from a painful past that lead to healing. While cleaning and stitching both women find the balance they are looking for. This story is beautifully woven together as carefully as you would piece together a beautiful quilt. You will grow to love the characters and will have a hard time waiting for the conclusion. Highly recommended.

kcwreads's review against another edition

Read awhile ago, there's a whole quilting sub-genre

melkelsey's review against another edition

Very wholesome, in my opinion, annoyingly so. A mini-manual for beginning quilters.

vick11's review against another edition

It's hard to find good fluff books - these are great! Fun, relaxing, and easy to take your mind off things.

brookepalmer796's review against another edition

Cute, but not deep. Nice for a quick read.