Five Survive by Holly Jackson

melbournejune's review

adventurous dark tense fast-paced

This was a decent fast paced book, a good palate cleanser. I did sort of guess the plot twist (at least who it was) quite early on, but enjoyed the unravelling of the story nonetheless.

kluds's review

adventurous mysterious fast-paced

khongoro's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense fast-paced

taylorsversion1989's review against another edition

i couldnt sleep for like a week but i guessed 1 of the plot twists

selah_coffee's review

anniii1711's review against another edition

Holly Jackson really is so good at writing captivating YA thrillers! I love her works. They're easy to follow and always pull you in so much, you read them in one sitting. The final part wasn't so much my cup of tea, therefore 4 stars.

maicey's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

tillyjewell's review against another edition

I loved this book so much! The real time aspect of it makes it so fast paced and the reveal at the end had me SHOCKED! 5 stars!

rabhya07's review against another edition

*3.5* The whole story is set in the time frame of eight hours and an RV. This setting was so interesting, and I think the author did a commendable job of narrating the whole story in a small setting, which made the story unique. Now for the six characters. Well, they weren’t likable. I didn’t like the main character and some other characters, like Oliver. Oliver is shown to be the detestable one among the other characters, and normally authors do add those kinds of characters. But after some point, I found it very irritating in the story. It ruined other elements of the story.

The character developments were pretty bland since the story takes place in one setting. I feel that she could have given more backstory, which would have been great input for the main reveal. One thing I liked in the story is that there was one character who was never present in the RV, but through conversations, the author introduced that character.

In the first half of the book, the author was still building the situation and preparing the readers for a climax in the second half. While reading the book, My emotions while reading the book: stress, anger, and cringe. Some scenes really gave good shocks, but throughout the story, the characters made me so angry to the point where I would close the book, take a moment, and then continue to read it. Some moments made me cringe. Coming to the pacing. Around 80 percent of the narrative is dialogue, so it was a quick read. The ending was unpredictable. Hats off to Holly for managing to put plot twists in such a small setting.

Lastly, “What did the curtains remind Red of?” The author never answered this question!

What I Liked:
~The setting of the story.
~Introducing a character through conversations between different characters.
~Shocking plot twists in such a small setting
~Fast pacing due to dialogue narrative.

What I Did Not Like:
~OLIVER.
~There were some cringy moments.
~More backstory could have been given.
~Bland character developments.

Who Should Read This:
If you are starting with the thriller genre, then this book would be perfect for you. If you are in the mood for a fast-paced read which is set in the span of less than 24 hours, then Five Survive is the one for you!

jayden20's review

dark emotional funny mysterious fast-paced