Amina's Voice, by Hena Khan

gracejin's review against another edition

This book should be longer. It's kind of rushed and it feels a bit hollow. If the book was more full and had more substance in it would have been better. I like that there was racism presented even if they made me so mad because non-POC readers can better understand what we have to go through. It's so gross and unfair. Also, Emily never felt bad or apologized for making fun of Soojin's food
Spoiler(and she was enjoying Asian food a lot at the end! ugh.)
. I wished they didn't just brush that off after Amina thought Emily was okay. Emily is still annoying.
SpoilerI'm glad Soojin kept her name. Susan is such an adult-sounding name and it doesn't match Soojin too.
I hope the next book is much better.

Before reading:
I don't really remember a lot about the book but I remember it was not as good as I expected haha
I'm going to read it again soon :D

jessicaaaaaaa's review against another edition

Amina’s Voice is a feel-good middle grade novel about a 6th grader who is trying to figure out how much she wants to fit in and how much she wants to be herself.

Amina’s best friend Soojin is thinking about changing her name to Susan when she becomes an American citizen, and Amina wonders if she should try to fit in more, too. Emily, a former bully, wants to be friends with Amina and Soojin, but Amina is having trouble forgiving Emily for the past. Meanwhile, Amina’s uncle is visiting from “back home,” and he questions her piano lessons and involvement in chorus—saying that music is not Islamic. To top it all off, Amina’s parents sign her up for a Quran competition. How can Amina recite Quran, which she’s not very good at, in front of everyone?

SpoilerI liked seeing interfaith issues explored in this book, and I’m glad the happy ending had to do with Amina finding herself in the larger interfaith community as opposed to her family or even her masjid. That is an important narrative that is not often explored. I also really appreciated that the Quran is ultimately a source of empowerment for Amina.

I post reviews of #muslimreads at muslimreads.com.

lemon_bee's review against another edition

I don’t really pick up middle grade books anymore but this was really cute!

brokebybooks's review against another edition

Just flew threw this one the other day. <3

I'll be back with notes and a review later.

kketcham327's review against another edition

Such a sweet and beautiful story! It's wonderful to read about people coming together from all sorts of faiths and backgrounds.

katyjean81's review against another edition

Good things: positive, multilayered portrayal of modern Muslims living in America. Nice look at female friendships in middle school and how we grow and change.

Things I didn’t like: the ending felt too sweet, too pat, too well tied up. It just didn’t ring true.

zoereadsx's review against another edition

This was cute!

- BooktubeAthon 2018 book 9!

kristinajean's review against another edition

A fantastic read!

ghoulie's review against another edition

This was such a great quick read! And as a Muslim girl, I feel like there lots of things that I can relate to, which makes me adore this book even more!

junkyardigan's review against another edition

As I expected, this wasn’t really my style. I did like the conflict, but it was really simple and plain. I absolutely hated her dad! He was putting so much pressure on her and her brother.