squidface's review against another edition

dark mysterious slow-paced

mir_i_am's review against another edition

Mexican Gothic is 100% my jam. The overwhelming opinion of my book club was that they loved it, too. Some of my favorite things about it:
- I have recently become very interested in the Gothic genre. I am familiar enough with the tropes by now that this book was just an absolute treat.
- BUT, it's updated! Noemi is an awesome heroine. She has the sensibilities of a modern person while existing in this Gothic, Victorian story. She is flirty, fashionable, and outgoing, while ALSO being ambitious, intelligent, and civic-minded. She has dimension! I appreciate her deeply.
- The really subtle (gold + evil) and not-so-subtle (Knives-Out-Esque discussion of Noemi's looks and race) commentary on colonization.
I don't want to spoil anything else, but this was so refreshing because it is an old genre with a new perspective. I hope other people read and enjoy it!

mmlz's review against another edition

4.5 stars - an engrossing and addicting read, especially after you get past the exposition. It has all the delightfully creepy gothic tropes and a plucky heroine. My two quibbles, which are minor, is that about halfway (?) through it morphs from gothic to magical realism and the other is Francis and the end of his story arc. Both things work in the text, but I wasn’t sold on the execution.

Overall, I would strongly recommends this book.

romyreadings's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense

nells_novels's review against another edition

Noemí travels from Mexico City to El Triunfo to visit her cousin Catalina after receiving a strange letter. Newly married and once vibrant and healthy, Catalina seems to be having… troubles. Noemí must stay with Catalina and Catalina’s new family at their old silver mining estate, known as High Place. After a few interactions with various family, staff, and the house itself, Noemí comes to realize that things may not be as they seem. Is it safe or is it dangerous? Is it dead or is it alive? What is *actually* happening at High Place??

Enjoy the descriptive, icky, interesting tale of Noemí at High Place. I found it very entertaining. And gross.

I enjoyed the pacing of this story, myself. I found it to be well-told and intriguing as the characters and their relationships developed. Silvia Moreno-Garcia’s vivid, dark storytelling was enchanting. I can honestly say there were twists and turns I didn’t expect and they both shocked me and made me feel a little queasy. It’s a fresh take on a classic Gothic storyline in an era long past.

While I understand why some folks didn’t enjoy the pacing and the strangeness of this story… it was still a good read.

And this book is definitely not for people who already don’t like mushrooms.

sascott624's review against another edition

dark medium-paced

alexandthesix's review against another edition

I'm glad I didn't let the mixed reviews get to me. This book was one of my most anticipated reads of this year. It's not a new favorite, but I actually really liked it.
I love gothic horror. This one gave me huge Crimson Peak vibes and I loved it. But it went even further into the horror. I'd seen people say it was twisted and fucked up (in the best way), but it went even further than I expected. Silvia Moreno-Garcia really didn't hold back. PHEW.

mariireads's review against another edition

This sadly was not for me, beautiful cover and did start off strong with the gothic atmosphere but that was it.

gwilt's review against another edition

Really enjoyed! Loved the mood and how spooky it was!

silkcaramel's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced