tryslora's review

I'm an author in this book; I'm not talking about my own work, obviously.

I've been looking forward to reading this set of short stories. Even being involved in the anthology, I didn't get to read any of the stories prior to publication. When I started reading, I kept a piece of note paper to track my favorites and uh... I was writing them all down.

The stories all had different things they hit for me, but they all left me smiling. Feeling good. Feeling like I'd just had a bit of sweet fluff to eat and some nice hot cocoa to drink. I read this during a week when my life was turning upside down, and it was exactly the anchor I needed to help cleanse my mind one short story at a time.

I'm biased because I'm part of this, yes, but wow, these stories exceeded my expectations. I came away with joy, and I needed that.

sunshine_oracle's review against another edition

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

Adorable collection of short romantic cozy fantasy stories. The LGBTQIA+ and BIPOC representation was wonderful. Not enough romance stories have enby characters. I also especially loved the disability representation in one of the stories.

breading_books's review

emotional lighthearted medium-paced

taaya's review

emotional funny lighthearted slow-paced

Not what I expected, when it was recommended to me (because I was looking for good rep of ace people actually having a relationship). And in fact, the one ace character in this anthology...is just ace in the tags. Their asexuality is neither mentioned nor acted upon in the story.

But that doesn't change the fact that the stories are super sweet and lovely to read. Just ...proportions, people. Another ace who's asexuality really plays a role on getting together, would've been nice in all those stories.

And  ... really, meet cute is now used inflationary, isn't it?

(Massive kudos for the tags!)

greeniezona's review

lighthearted medium-paced

fpwoper's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted relaxing fast-paced
  • Plot- or character-driven? N/A

I absolutely loved this anthology. It was a magical read (ha) and I smiled throughout. One or two stories weren't for me but that's always going to happen. Simply amazing!

sunny15's review

hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

stifledlaughter's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

I had Kickstarted this project and was delighted when I was finally able to sit down and really enjoy it. Like all anthologies, some stories stand out more than others - I was particularly fond of the following:

Unusual Blends by Scarlett Gale
The Tasty Crumpet by A.L Heard
Bånd by Florence Vale
Knishes and Noshes by Nina Waters
Confluence by Puck Malamud
Dreaming of Pines by Tris Lawrence
In Like Flynn by Jo Mathieson

What I got out of this was the different ways that Modern with Magic was interpreted. The various cultural influences the authors brought to the magic of the stories were some of the highlights of the book (such as the strong Jewish influence in Knishes and Noshes, or the Norwegian setting in Bånd.)
This was a cozy and delightful anthology to read through, and I look forward to the other works that Duck Prints Press will put out!
(Review also posted to other review sites)

jumblejen's review