Reviews for Ten Rules for Faking It, by Sophie Sullivan

loveofabook's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful informative lighthearted reflective relaxing medium-paced

This book was pretty predictable, and I thought the analogies throughout the book were pretty annoying. That being said, the glimpse into social anxiety and the constant overthinking that goes along with it was very relatable and gave this book the extra layer that I think it needed. Overall, I did really enjoy reading this book!

josieg's review

The representation in this book went above and beyond everything I've read before in contemporary romance. As someone who also struggles with social anxiety I not only felt seen, but I really like how nothing was brushed over or felt like a character's quirk. I went into this book expecting a fun romance similar to the Bachelor. Everyly grew as a person, but what I loved was that she was able to cope with her anxiety but understood that it was something she will have to deal with for the rest of her life. Chris was such a fun and understanding male lead and was far from "perfect". He made mistakes in his past and present, but always showed that he was there for Everly, being the reassuring partner she really needed. I also loved Stacy because she was a realistic best friend who didn't always know how to help. Overall I loved the romance and story and greatly appreciated the representation and how realistic the situation was.

librarianmorgan's review

I wish I had liked this book more. I did appreciate the portrayal of anxiety - the representation is appreciated. But - so many things were contrived and obvious! I guess I had higher hopes from the premise than what was delivered. No fault to the writing, no qualms there. I guess this book just wasn't for me, but maybe it'll be for you. It's quite sweet.

allingoodtime's review

I’ve been very lucky to get some wonderful ARCs from new-to-me authors recently. This is one of them. And this author isn’t just new to me, it seems this is her debut. Knowing that, I’m looking forward to see what else she’ll be bringing to the table in the future.

**Note: I discovered Sophie Sullivan is an alias for author Jody Holford after I wrote this review. I decided to keep it as is since I still find the things I said to be true. She just has more experience than I thought at first. And now, since I haven’t read anything by this author under either name until now, I have another author to try out.**

One of my favorite things in this story is the chemistry. This author did an amazing job getting the butterflies going in my belly each time the main characters, Everly and Chris, shared the page. All without them being an item. The subtle touches, the furtive looks, and the heightened awareness between them all gave me tons of warm-fuzzies. And that’s what I’m here for, folks.

Everly has a lot on her plate. Not only do her parents, who are actually great people, make her feel like she’s in the middle of their occasional tug-of-war, she has anxiety issues that she fights hard to keep a handle on. Just as with the chemistry, the author does a beautiful job with Everly’s mental health struggles. She doesn’t take things to a super dark place, but conveys the struggle of dealing with anxiety and the way it can wreak havoc on a person’s physical health. Of course, I adore the way Chris handles Everly’s issues, too. Meaning, he doesn’t handle her. He gives her space when needed, doesn’t push her to “get over it”, understands that when she says something isn’t working for her she means what she says. He is kind and patient and just wants to understand so he can help.

As much as I love Chris’ personality, I hate secrets. While I totally understand the need for Chris’ secret when he first starts working at the station, it’s obvious he’s waited too long to let anyone know the truth. Of course, that means he keeps digging a deeper whole and a wider web of lies that he loses control of eventually. Not my favorite thing, but it’s handled quite well here.

From what I can tell, although I listed this book as a standalone, we may get more from these characters. Not only would I love to see Chris’ brothers get their stories told, but Everly’s best friend could use an HEA herself. If this author handles their stories with as much care as she showed this tale, I’ll be all in.

**I received an ARC of this book courtesy of Net Galley and the publisher. All opinions expressed in this review are my own and given freely**

You can find more of my reviews at All In Good Time.

whaterikaisreading's review

Such a cute rom com! Perfect if you love The Bachelorette, friends to lovers tropes, and friends who will stick with you through it all. I loved that this book tackled anxiety disorders and normalized the fact that many people struggle with anxiety and are still awesome people! Have already recommended to all my friends.

hannahzimm12's review

While it was cute at some points, I found the desire between the two, particularly on the side of Chris, a tad too intense. Also, while I appreciate the perspective of social anxiety, I’m pretty upset that Everly didn’t listen to Stacey when she recommended she see someone for it. That could have been such a good moment for her, and the fact that it didn’t go anywhere was truly disappointing. Lastly, it was way too cheesy for me, even for a romance. But maybe I’m just bitter.

michelleg8's review

This book is so fun! The premise had me on board immediately. I love the bachelorette and blind dates are always a good choice. There were so many laugh out loud moments and I may never look at pinatas the same again.

Aside from the fun dates and awkward moments, this book has a strong underlying theme of anxiety. Everly has a constant running monologue of swirling thoughts and worries along with panic attacks. I could relate to this so much and I loved how this book didn’t shy away from showing a reality that many of us deal with.

As much as I enjoyed this book, it is a slooow burn. I could’ve used a bit more chemistry and a lot more steam but if you’re looking for a sweet story with hilarious moments, supportive friends, and some more serious topics, this is perfect for you!

Thank you to Sophie Sullivan, St. Martin’s Press and Netgalley for my [gifted] ARC of this book!

rylanneburdette's review

When Everly starts her thirtieth birthday by finding her boyfriend in bed with another woman, she decides to make a list of rules to help guide her life. Her best friend, Stacey, titles it, "Ten Rules for Faking It," and they make a plan to help her live by the rules they came up with. Everly is soon presented by her boss, Chris, with the opportunity to help out the broadcasting company she works for by being involved in a dating game, where she gets to go out with men she is matched with. The thought of putting herself out there like that terrifies Everly, but because of her rules, she goes through with it anyway. Although she isn't sure she will meet "the one" by doing this, she wants to help raise the station's viewing numbers and get out of her comfort zone. The farther along she gets in the game, however, the more she realizes that the person she truly wants may be closer than she thought.

Ten Rules for Faking It was such an enjoyable read! I loved the discussions of anxiety and family dynamics and appreciated how deep the author was willing to dive into these topics that aren't always seriously addressed in romances. However, I personally felt the story was lacking in the actual romance department. I kept waiting and waiting for the build-up, and although we see and feel the tension rising between Everly and Chris, I guess I just felt that the ending was anticlimactic and left me wanting so much more. Because the story ended at the very beginning of their relationship, we didn't get to see what they actually looked like as a couple, which I would have loved!

Regardless, this was a sweet read that addressed so many solid themes. I loved watching Everly grow through her anxiety, and watching Chris want to help her rather than push her way because of her "problems" was heartwarming. Would I recommend this book? Yes. It had me screaming into my sweatshirt at times because of the tension that I could literally feel rising off my screen. Just be prepared for that very slow burn that may become frustrating at times, but don't glaze over the important themes in the book!

A huge thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Griffin for providing an ARC of Ten Rules for Faking It! This book is set to be published on 12/29/2020.

lexiereadsbooks's review against another edition

funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

georgiaonyrmnd's review

This was ok but not great.

The positive: The book normalizes living with anxiety and affirms the challenges people face who struggle with it as Everly has trouble accepting and standing up for herself.

The less positive: The story went on too long and Chris was a bit too sensitive, to the point where it was unrealistic..which might be why the book dragged. He was such a lovesick puppy, pretty much from page 1.

The Bachelorette plot line felt undeveloped and unoriginal. Aside from the treatment of anxiety (which was a big plot point), everything else felt rote and recently done - the whole list thing, the dating contest, the whole “I feel strangely pleased when he looks at me but I don’t know why. No, it can’t be that..”

I don’t think was awful, just mostly unoriginal.

I received an advance copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.