The Colour of Magic, by Terry Pratchett

thebookguy's review

After wanting to read Pratchett's novels all my life I finally decided to this year, starting and continuing in publication order. It's a great fantasy novel with plenty of humour. You can tell Pratchett is just finding his style in this book, but it shines anyway. Great fun

tharina's review against another edition

The Colour of Magic gets the Discworld series off to a fairly good start - the characters are fantastic and the deeply ingrained corruption in Ankh-Morpork is described wonderfully. It is, however, not one of the strongest books in the series; it's very much still finding its feet.

sorceress_digi's review against another edition

I really and sincerely do not know what I just read... like, I know what happened. I know I read The Color of Magic. I know that a series of events took place in the book. I could tell you what that series of events was, probably even in order. I could not tell you what the point of it was. I could not tell you the motivation behind the events other than this: "Apparently Fate wants Rincewind and Twoflower dead... for some reason, which no one gets to know."

I feel like The Color of Magic tried too hard to be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I enjoyed Hitchhiker's. I could follow Hitchhiker's. Hitchhiker's makes sense. The Color of Magic just doesn't hang together, in my opinion. I just... what? Why? Huh?

This thing happened. This other thing happened. There was some bit of world-building in each area. There was increasingly weird world-building elsewhere. There were asides with "gods" and semi-imaginary dragons, and then this alien water-troll thing. And the day is saved because sapient pearwood... except not, apparently. And then... the end of Divergent before that was even a thing... And I just can't.

Also, apparently octarine is yellow-green or something.

My original plan was to go ahead and read the entire Discworld series but... that's no longer on my to-do list. Re-gifting this travesty of a book to someone who will enjoy it definitely is, though.

isenseastory's review against another edition

This book was my introduction into the mind and vivid imaginings of Terry Pratchett. What a book! I absolutely need to continue with the series now and there will be no stopping it.
I LOVE the characters, especially the feisty chest, who each had me chuckling my way through this book. The world Pratchett has built is stunning and this first installment has only just grazed the surface, leaving me giddy in anticipation for what’s to come.
I can’t wait to get back to Discworld!

lisette7's review against another edition

'"What a strange creature," Twoflower remarked. "Is it dangerous?"
"Only to people!" shouted Rincewind. He drew his sword and, with a quick overarm throw, completely failed to hit the troll.'

I finished Terry Pratchett's The Colour of Magic in two days. Two days. I have no idea why, except that it's incredibly clever and funny and so a bit headhurty (?) at times… so, in essence, your average Pratchett book.

I enjoyed reading The Colour of Magic (although in my opinion it did drag a bit, owing to the fact that the chapters are more like novellas). Good Omens (a Pratchett and Gaiman joint-venture) still beats it out for me though. Three stars.

jr0's review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

thesevioletdelights's review against another edition

This might be more of a 3.5. I found a large portion of the story to be laugh-out-loud funny; it just wasn't very compelling.

jpv0's review against another edition

Once upon a time, I tried to read the Discworld books, starting (against several people's advise) with the first and working through all of them. I made it a few books in and put them down, saying that some day I would give them another chance. Well, this is that chance.

This time around, I'm listening to them all on audiobook. This actually seems to help quite a lot, since it allows me to keep listening while at the same time doing something with my hands and, unless I stop it myself, will keep going without me. It turns out that, given those circumstances, I quite enjoyed the Color of Magic this time around.

It's still not the best book I've ever read. The plot seems to meander a bit and jump from place to place--which, to be fair, is more or less intentional. The characters, other than Rincewind and Twoflower, are a bit lackluster, although the two of them are at least amusingly put together and distinct. The setting is actually quite amusing, although it goes more for humor than a more 'serious' take on worldbuilding--again, intentional.

Finally, the Color of Magic either feels just a bit too long or a bit too short. There are perhaps three major sections to the book, where jumps in time and space separate out what is going on in each from one another. However, the last one feels incomplete. There's something that could be very interesting just about to happen... and then the book ends. I have hopes that the sequel will go a bit more into that.

Overall, better to listen to than to read (at least for me). Worth giving the series a second try. I think I'll actually read each subseries rather than going straight through. Onward with the adventures of Rincewind it is!

pageboundgirl_'s review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced