apric0tjam's review against another edition

arc provided by netgalley.

it was fine. quick read. morals are a little iffy for a younger audience than me. i wish the author had either leaned fully into the vigilante aspect or addressed the emotional ramifications of SA. it feels very "i have 8 spoons in 8 different pots" and isn't successful in addressing any of them.

utopiastateofmind's review against another edition

(Disclaimer: I received this book from Netgalley. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Dangerous Play delivers an atmosphere of friendship and survival. Of simmering rage, sexism that protects perpetrators, and how society encourages silence. I knew that stories like this hit me differently emotionally, and while I was prepared, the rage that boils to the surface always somehow surprises me. How society forces us into this box of not saying something because of the repercussions, consequences for our future, and how it reinforces itself.

marcemallow's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

lydiahephzibah's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

mollyanne624's review against another edition

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an arc of this book in exchange for an honest review.

It’s her junior year of high school and Zoe Alamander has put together a team of her school’s best field hockey players in hopes of making it to the state championships and earning a scholarship for college. However, after Zoe is sexually assaulted at a party, she finds herself playing a whole new game. Zoe wants no girl to feel unsafe. But, in her attempts to accomplish such a goal, Zoe may have gone too far and now her future is on the line.
This book is a tough read. It’s hard not to be angry at the injustices Zoe and her peers face. However, I think that’s a sign the book accomplished its goal. It has a lot of hard, but important, conversations. I liked how Dangerous Play focused on the larger ramifications of rape and sexual assault on a community. It also touched on internalized misogyny and a bit on intersectional feminism. Although, I do wish it went a little more in-depth on those topics.
Dangerous Play did start a bit slow, but it picked up after the first quarter. My biggest issue was that I didn’t really connect with Zoe. I found the other characters to be more likeable. Overall, Dangerous Play is a well-written story that discusses important, real-life, issues.

melaniereadsbooks's review against another edition

reflective tense medium-paced

Thank you to Netgalley and Fierce Reads for an arc of this book.

Zoe Alamander is determined to lead her field hockey team to States this year. Zoe and her co-captain Ava spent the summer recruiting and training the best possible varsity team, and they are going to have each other's backs on and off the field.  But when the girls keep experiencing sexual assault and harassment from the boys at their school, they decide to fight back in the shadows.

Wow this book made. its. point!  The struggle with rape culture in this book is all too real and extremely poignant.  It was honestly making me feel a little sick because I know how true this stuff is in our schools and it was so frustrating to see the same stale arguments and victim-blaming happening in this book. It did such a good job illustrating the power differentials at play and a few of the different ways people might deal with that trauma.

I honestly really liked Zoe and related to her a lot (other than her overactive crush). I loved her determination and the way she fiercely fought for her teammates and friends, and for herself.  The sports aspect was very fun!

My only dislike of this book was the pacing. There were times when chapters felt like they ended really abruptly and started later on, and I didn't really like the way that worked. Some of the sports scenes in particular felt really drawn out and detailed, while things I thought were more important didn't always get enough air time.

Overall, I definitely recommend picking this up!

Pub Date: August 3, 2021

cheryls's review against another edition

This is book one in the Dangerous series and it features Nate and Amanda. I struggled with all but the last chapter in this book. His attitude, the way he talked, his behavior, everything about him was a HUGE turn off. The last chapter was fantastic but unfortunately that’s not enough to carry the entire book. I understand the cocky, narcissistic attitude in these men that are at the top of their game, personally and professionally but this was taken to a more than extreme level. Some might like this type of leading man but it’s just not for me.