The Wallflower Wager, by Tessa Dare

_sarah_'s review

After reading The Duchess Deal and The Governess Game;' I was most curious to have Penelope's story told as she was a side character whom I enjoyed from the first two novels.

For the most part; I adored the romance that Penelope shared with Gabe and the flock of animals and friends which surrounded them. I did prefer this book to The Duchess Deal however the reason I am giving it a lower star is mainly due to a plotline that appeared near the end. While I could still emphasize with Penny and she still remained likable the part of her character just appeared and was not gradually hinted at as it was with Emma and Alex with their previous dramas. I feel like the author just added it to make the story take longer to reach its conclusion. With that said;' I still found great enjoyment from The Wallflower Wager.

literaryillusions's review against another edition

I kept putting this one down and not because it wasn't good - I just kept reading other things. (It has been a problem this month.) Fun reread inspired by my buddy read with Amanda.
I love a tortured duke - ironically with the last name Duke - but really the star of the show for me was Lady Penelope - human sunshine, fully formed hug, and general sweetie. And not because her life was easy but because she just had so much love to give. This one takes a bit to get going - I forgot that - but it is totally worth it in the end. I also adore the sex scene and Gabriel being a gentle human with her.
Stars: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Steam:

thejufox's review against another edition

4 stars (maaaaybe 4.5)

I had a great time reading this!!
I loved how Penny cared for her animals. Penny and Gabriel's interactions were so much fun to read, their chemistry and building relationship was engaging and interesting. No complaints there at all.

I was loving everything so much until the part where Penny finally told Gabriel about her past. From that moment on I knew what was going to happen and I was dreading it, because I don't usually enjoy things like that. I prefer my romances with a minimal amount of drama, or at least drama that's not too serious. This drama is a good example of more serious drama. The way it all unfolded at the ball wasn't really my taste and it got all huge and intense and it sort of came out of nowhere. The whole feel of it was different from the story leading up to it and that's probably my problem with it. What happened all made sense, but if it had started building up to it more clearly a bit more early on I might not have been as disappointed by the sudden intense dramatics.

The way the drama was solved, though, was something I had been waiting for the whole story long. It was clear to me that Penny was going to 'honour' Gabriel by doing what he does and I was living for it, they're so great together.

Then the ending giving us this (spoiler for quote):
Spoiler"I have every luxury a man could desire. Hundreds of thousands of pounds in my accounts. I worked like hell to build a fortune, and yet.. Now I'd sell my soul for a Penny."
...I loved that so much.

erisha's review against another edition

It was so good. I could devour these books in a day but I have to pace myself each time. It's witty, and every bit as unrealistic as I needed it to be. I'm also only slightly very embarrassed to be reading these. Gotta love a new addiction :)

mbooksbycandlelight's review against another edition

Out of all the books in this series I think this may have the best main characters. Gabriel and Penny are amazing and so well suited to each other. Tessa Dare does a splendid job bringing to light how people's past traumas and experiences can follow them well into adulthood. This book really focused on that and it gave the story an unexpected depth.

jackierothmeier's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted medium-paced

Dare attempted to sneak in one plot line too many but by the end I was grinning like a fool. Will be reading more of her work!

deeeeng's review against another edition

There was a very serious issue that was presented in the story that I don't think concluded in a satisfying way. Ehhhh. 2.5 stars.

aliciaflo's review against another edition

3.5 stars!

bookish_arcadia's review against another edition

Classic Tessa Dare fare. Funny, silly, romantic, sexy. The plot is as ridiculous as ever but Dare writes with such gusto and affection that it just doesn't matter, in fact it just adds to the charm. A thoroughly enjoyable addition to the Girl Meets Duke series.

08hortone's review

This was my first Tessa Dare book, and will certainly not be my last (in fact I think this has started an obsession to read her back list)! I loved the chemistry between Penny and the Duke of Ruin, Gabriel, and that neither one of them sacrificed who they really were for the other. SO MUCH SWOON.