The Mists of Avalon, by Marion Zimmer Bradley

kermittuesday's review against another edition

Longer than it needed to be but still good.

hollyfromthebigsky's review against another edition

another high-school era read....

heregrim's review against another edition

The Mistress of Magic (4)-The story of the rise of Uther his love affair with Igraine to the rise of King Arthur is told through the eyes of the women around him. I have enjoyed this story and the expanding on the Druidic/pagan side of the legend. I sympathized with the characters and the "choices" that some of them were forced or tricked into making.

The High Queen (3)- This portion of the tale focuses on Morgaine and Gwenhwyfar. This is the tale of Morgaine's pregnancy with Mordred and Gwen's failure to produce an heir for Arthur. The story still has the tension between pagan and Christian ideas and that has kept me focused and enjoying the story. Gwen I am not a fan of the character, she at best comes across as a whiny child, although in her moments of desperation I strongly felt for her troubles.

The King Stag (3)- The story continues into a much closer version of what I remember focusing on Morgaine's betrayal of Arthur and the beginning of Mordred's rise. The characters have more depth and the story, because I know the ending, start playing on my emotions.

Prisoner in the Oak (5)- the end. I loved how the final ending of Camelot played out in this story, both as a tragedy and as the peaceful result of the court as a being. A great end to a story that for the most part I only liked.

alexandraalmeida's review against another edition

I grew up with Zimmer Bradley’s writings. As a young girl, I devoured every word. Phrases and entire pages underlined; their wisdom hitting me in the gut and lodging deep in my soul. Betrayal washed over me when, many years later, I learned of the sickening crimes of the author. Still, decades later, the words linger.

awkwardsnitch's review

I couldn't get into the opening of the story, I think because of the length of the book

katherinem310's review against another edition

Kevin, the Harpist?

marle's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional inspiring mysterious sad medium-paced

kpsmith's review against another edition

An ESSENTIAL read for all historical fiction fantasy readers!

suzy_kinnen's review against another edition

I read this book when I was maybe 15, which was a long time ago now. I absolutely loved it, but I fear I may have been insufferable for a while after reading it, as I was convinced that the book was based on (OMG)TRUE FACTS. I've taken away one star, figuring that if I were to reread it today, I wouldn't enjoy it nearly so much, but that it may still be a very good book.

leannaj's review against another edition

Undoubtedly one of the most well-written books I have ever read. Even if this was about a cabbage from Ohio, it would still interest me, because the language was just so so captivating. I definitely didn't like all the characters, but I understood them well and knew where they came from. The characters really did make the story. Almost everything that happened was because one person or another decided to meddle with someone else's life.