This Delicious Death by Kayla Cottingham

forthehopeofitall6's review

Quick, fun, and unique with pretty good YA-style prose.

cabeswateraven's review

Solid 3.5 on this one. The concept was great, I loved the idea of a virus turning people into Ghouls, and the setting of a music festival was really fun! I can’t explain though the story was too fast but also WAY too slow…I know it was less than 300 pages but I wanted more of some parts and less of others! I did have fun tho, it was definitely unique. It did remind me a little of In The Flesh!

rhondawhite97's review

moustache_reader's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

random_subplot's review

dark funny medium-paced

Loved the cover and the premise. Really wanted to like this one. The writing was funny, but the plot was too contrived and the ghoul/monsters analogy of queer people left a bad taste. ☹️

butchbabe's review

funny mysterious

alis0n21's review

dark emotional funny fast-paced

krnoble's review

emotional funny mysterious medium-paced

cynsworkshop's review against another edition

emotional mysterious fast-paced

This Delicious Death is a brilliant sapphic horror novel that brings a new uniqueness to the zombie trope.

An impressive sophomore novel, This Delicious Death is all about girl power, friendship, and finding yourself amid impending danger.

Storytelling

I liked This Delicious Death more than her novel, My Dearest Darkest. It had a better flow. We’re given some backstory towards the zombie apocalypse they call the Hallowing. Four friends have been changed forever, needing synthetic human flesh to survive. But they are surviving; they and the world have adapted to the new changes.

So, these four girls decide on one last party before they go off to college. A music festival in the desert. What could go wrong, right?

Everything is excellent until Val becomes feral, and the girl discovers that someone is drugging “ghouls” to cause a mass panic.

It moved incredibly, going back and forth between memories and the present day to establish who these characters are and their relationship.

That was one of my biggest problems with Cottingham’s debut; I struggled with the character dynamics and relating to the character. But they were written much better, making for a stronger novel. It made the transitions from past to present fit into the story in a way that did not ruin the momentum of the rising tension.

Final Thoughts

This Delicious Death is a great horror novel with great queer representation. It has brilliant characterization and excellent pacing, giving the zombie trope some uniqueness.

See more reviews at Cyn's Workshop and follow me on Facebook | Instagram | TikTok | Twitter | Tumblr | Spotify Podcast | YouTube | BookBub | Goodreads+ | LinkedIn

wisteriariaa's review