A Royal Guide to Monster Slaying, by Xavière Daumarie, Kelley Armstrong

shahnachristine's review against another edition

I like Jaco! So cute. I want one.
It's adorable and magical. I want to meet a pegasus.

jilljemmett's review against another edition

This is a great adventure story!

I loved the character of Rowan. She is a strong girl who fought for what she believed in. Even though she was destined to become a queen, she wanted to be a monster hunter. She then had to prove that she was up to the job.

Some parts of this story were a little slow paced. There were long battles between Rowan and the monsters. She also met some monsters over and over again, but it was nice to be reminded of these different beasts.

I really enjoyed this middle grade story!

Thank you Penguin Random House Canada for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

jilljemmett's review against another edition

Rowan is training to be the royal monster hunter in her kingdom. She caught a gryphon in the previous book, and it was allowed to live because it was pregnant. Now the gryphon is having her baby, but the mother dies due to complications. The baby gryphon grows quickly and thinks that Rowan is her mother. When the gryphon goes to extreme lengths to protect Rowan, the kingdom decides that the gryphon has to be killed. Rowan convinces them to let her move the gryphon somewhere else. On Rowan’s new adventure through the country, she meets even more creatures than last time.

I really enjoyed this series. I just found out that this is the final book in this series. I would have liked to see more of Rowan as she gets older. She had to face some more mature issues in this book, such as potential suitors for her and her brother. I love how Rowan is such a strong female character. She heads right into danger to do the right thing, rather than what everyone thinks she should do. She is confident and independent.

I felt like some of the fight scenes were too long. They lasted for a couple of chapters, sometimes, and they became repetitive. One thing that could have made the fights more entertaining is if there were illustrations to go along with them. There are some illustrations of the monsters at the end of the book, but I think the story could have been enhanced with illustrations throughout the book.

This is a great middle grade book.

rubenstein's review against another edition

I wish this wasn't the case - I adore Kelley's novels - but this was a DNF @ 53% and I'm honestly surprised I pushed myself to reach that point. While there was nothing inherently bad about this one, it was just so. boring. I didn't care about the characters, I didn't care about the world, I didn't care royal decrees were being shattered by a pair of siblings taking on the roles that should be the other's birthright.

pages_and_procrastination's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

maidmarianlib's review against another edition

A strong female character, love the creatures in the story, plot picks up in action near the end.

fernthepanda's review against another edition

I found this to be an excellent example of fantasy middle grade fiction. I don't think kids will be disappointed in this adventure-I know that I wasn't.

hpye's review against another edition

adventurous fast-paced

Read this to the kiddos and they can't wait to start the next one! Lots of fun with an adorable jackalope and loveable warg.

rebecca_3's review against another edition

This was a great princess adventure for young girls! It took a little while for Rowen to grow on me. At first she seemed kind of arrogant. But she is extremely brave and kind. And I loved all of her companions! Especially Jacko and Dain. But this was on the younger end of MG I would say. I really enjoy MG but this felt too young for me.

lindsay27's review against another edition