The Lathe of Heaven, by Ursula K. Le Guin

candicanepdx's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense fast-paced

books4days's review against another edition

Wow!! 4.5 stars. Reminded me of Blake Crouch's Recursion. I am SO glad someone in a book
Spoilerwent to go see a lawyer! George Orr, you were absolutely right to seek legal counsel
. This was mind-bending in a great way and pretty cool once I got into it. Guess I'll have to read more Le Guin, but what to read next...?

msjoanna's review against another edition

This is a classic of science fiction that I last read more than twenty years ago. I was browsing things available on audio on my library's site and came across this and decided to see how it aged.

Ursula K. Le Guin is a fabulous author. She has a deep understanding of human behavior and a way of cutting right to the bone in her novels. The concept here is simple: there's a man whose dreams become reality. This concept is managed beautifully with explanations for how this works and what happens to other people when it happens. But the magic of the story is the way that these dreams get at the heart of what is going on in the dreamer's subconscious mind. And of course, the wonderful interaction with a psychiatrist who wants to use the dreamer's ability for his own ends.

An absolutely stunning novel. Well worth reading (or rereading).

Unfortunately Guidall never manages to be a favorite narrator. His narrations are clear and his voice is pleasant, but he never manages to bring the story alive--it's like listening to a science fiction movie AI read--pleasing, but no heart.

weiwuxian's review against another edition

adventurous challenging reflective tense

vinjii's review against another edition

I have heard many good things of Ursula Le Guin and I will definitely have to read more of her books. The prose was good and the premise very interesting: George Orr's dreams can change the world. He's afraid of dreaming at first, trying to stop himself and then starts therapy, hoping a doctor can help him to stop dreaming. Instead the therapist realises the potential of George's dreams and starts trying to turn the place into a better place. What could possibly go wrong?

joillian's review against another edition

challenging reflective medium-paced

this book manages to grapple with so many topics so expertly.
i dinged breakfast of champions because it had some ugly overpopulation rhetoric. this book on the other hand shows how that kind of rhetoric can become a slippery slope into eugenics. while that's nowhere near the only topic of the book, that really stood out to me. i love you LeGuin

apollo1gcw's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

ocereadsstuff's review against another edition

challenging dark hopeful reflective tense medium-paced

bachihebi's review against another edition

inspiring reflective tense medium-paced

happy_hobbesian's review against another edition

emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad fast-paced

A fascinating dive into a world where the mind creates reality. In such a place, how can we control our lives and our world? Is control even desirable, or is it better to let illusions of control go and accept the world and our place in it?