I Am Still Alive, by Kate Alice Marshall

lovestodance's review against another edition

I didn't have any expectations going into this book. It pleasantly surprised me. It was like a modern day update of [b:Hatchet|50|Hatchet (Brian's Saga, #1)|Gary Paulsen|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1385297074l/50._SX50_.jpg|1158125], with a female protagonist.

Teenage Jess had recently been debilitated in a car crash that killed her mother, put her in the charge of foster care, and set her to live with her father whom she hadn't lived with (or seen but once) since she was six months old.

Jess had no idea her father would be a survivalist, living so off-the-grid that he had no neighbors and the only way to his cabin in the remote Canadian wilderness was by sea plane. In their short time together, she found out that
Spoilerher father ended up having to work for some very bad men by way of blackmail
. Now Jess has to fight for survival with few resources and only her father’s dog for company.

This book was a combination of an adventure and thriller. Since the protagonist was a 16-year old, I'm giving it more leeway as a thriller than I normally would.

Trigger warning: harm to animals, both for survival purposes and intent to kill

ashlykimchi's review against another edition

~~~Book Club January 2022 Pick~~~

4.5--wow. Even with a slower middle, this book took me by surprise with how much I enjoyed it at the end.

And because the rest of book club hasn't finished this yet--
SpoilerDid the dog really have to die?! Was that completely necessary? I nearly cried. I mean, this was still very enjoyable. Lush writing--a perfect read for January with how cold it made me feel. Bad guys getting eaten by wolves? Yes, please, more of that. A teenage girl--not only surviving alone--but plotting revenge? I was definitely rooting for Jess. When she took down her first deer? Yeah, I felt that shit in my bones. Would heartily recommend the audiobook.

xxcora's review against another edition

Could not finish it. I tried so hard and simply could not force myself any longer. Haven’t even looked at the books in months.

elinix's review against another edition

A pretty great survivalstory. Loved the baseline plot, loved the characters (Bo!) and loved the timeline. The storytelling devise of the notebook and the before/after only sort of worked.

beesbookland's review against another edition

That was highly disappointing lol

tortacular's review against another edition

I hated the dad in this which I guess was kinda the point. Also I am biased against shitty dads. Solid read overall, though my credulity was stretched at times.

foreveryoungadult's review against another edition

Graded By: Rosemary
Cover Story: Into the Wild
BFF Charm: Meh
Swoonworthy Scale: 0
Talky Talk: Brutal AF
Bonus Factors: Survivalism, Bo
Anti-Bonus Factor: Patty Chase Award for Awful Parenting
Relationship Status: Allies on Survivor

Read the full book report here.

mo0nkid's review against another edition

Spoilers:

The dog dies otherwise this would have 5 stars

bluetxt's review against another edition

This is my second Kate Alice Marshall book and I'll read anything she writes. She makes stunning work of atmosphere and tension. I devoured this book in like 4 hours, bone-tired from a long workday, but I just couldn't put it down

spam56's review against another edition

It took me 48 hours to read. If life didn’t have to happen I would have finished in one night. So good and so intense! I might be having some nightmares now…