Lumberjanes, Vol. 2: Friendship to the Max, by Grace Ellis, ND Stevenson

rouver's review

There's an awful lot of supernatural whoosafudge going on at Miss Qiunzella Thiskwin Penniquiqul Thistle Crumpet's Camp for Hardcore Lady Types, and it's just not stoppin.' Raptors erupting from the outhouse, little old ladies transforming into bears, campers with strangely mystical powers... and the Roanoke cabin continually finds themselves in the middle of all of it.

Great illustrations, uplifting messages, ridiculous hijinks. Perfect reading for my kids, too

vernip's review

The quirky fun continues and we have Greek mythology thrown into the mix.
Honestly, this is for people who wishes that "Adventure Time" and "Gravity Falls" had a strange strange baby but with a delightful all-female cast.

readingwithang_'s review against another edition

adventurous funny fast-paced

diariodegradabile's review

Better ( and funnier) than the first one! Loved it!

carroq's review

The Lumberjanes are back it. These girls are attending a summer camp where a bunch of weird stuff happens.

I love the layout of the book. It is written like a field guide for the campers, with each issue connected to a badge they can earn. There is a short intro page for each chapter with an explanation of the badge. And at the end of the chapters there is a page designed to be like a scrap book for the events of that particular issue.

The girls themselves didn't interest me much though. They are developed a little better than the first volume. At least enough that they feel more distinguishable from one another. Taken as a whole the girls are enjoyable and can present a positive message, but the individuals just didn't leave much of an impression.

This book had a much more cohesive plot too. Part of it may be that there are established pieces of the narrative. I feel like the first book was five loosely connected episodes, whereas this presents an arc of a story in which each issue builds on the previous. There is a bit of a mystery around Jo that spins into something much bigger. The end result wasn't wholly original, but it was still enjoyable.

The humor from the first book is present here. It doesn't always work for me though. The art is the same as well, which is great. The artistic approach to the characters sets them apart. It also maintains the tone of the story, rather than letting things get too dark.

mehsi's review

Friendship to the max! It is time for the second volume in the Lumberjanes series.

Yep, back when I first read the first one, I never thought I would ever again read anything in the Lumberjanes series. I was frankly tired of graphic novels who just threw their readers in the deep end, no explanation, or anything. But then I got curious about the specials, read those, quite loved them (there it wasn't a big problem we didn't get many explanations, though I have to say that one of them gave more of an explanation then the 120-ish pages did in the first volume). I decided to give the series another chance, and I am quite glad I did.

In this one the story continues pretty much where we left of. Not that I knew much of what had happened any more, but I wasn't going to be reading the first volume again. So I continued on, and then finally we got explanations for all the weird crap happening at the camp. Or at least one of them, as I am sure that there is more going on in this book than this. Especially given that one special talked about them opening portals on accident.

I have to say that it did feel a bit eh, why? Because it felt too much like someone was riding on the coattails for a certain popular series. Percy Jackson. I don't want to spoil anything, but a lot of things happened and it definitely felt like Lumberjanes x Percy Jackson. It was still fun, good, exciting, and I couldn't stop reading. I loved the puzzles, I loved seeing the girls kick some serious ass, trying to save their friend. I was squeeing when one girl gave the other motivation to solve anagrams by kissing her.

I still wish that they had done all this explaining sooner, I know I was definitely not the only one not amused with the no explanation crap from volume 1. :| I get that they now had some amazing thing, as the girls knew what to do, but hell, explaining is still important. Not breathing a word on what is going on in 120 pages is just a big no-no in my book.

I will continue reading this story, and hoping we will get more explanations on what is going on, plus see the girls kick some three-eyed ass + also deal with the whole gods are real thing. And of course I want to see more of the camp, as I really enjoyed those parts in this volume.

The art? Yup, I loved that one. One of the reasons next to the specials, that I had to read this volume. I adore the Lumberjanes art.

Plus I just love the message that friendship is everything. Friendship is special.

Review first posted at https://twirlingbookprincess.com/

lost_reader's review

The first one was okay. I don't think I really care about this series though.

sammietee's review

I absolutely adore Lumberjanes, it's my definitely my favourite comic book series. I love the colours and the characters. They get into so many shenanigans it makes me happy. I would love to go to Summer Camp and make some amazing friends like these girls. I found that this one was a bit more of a cohesive story than the first. Highly recommend.

delaneybull's review

This series is visually very difficult for me to follow, and the stories are just alright. This story tied the events of the first book together, which was good, but I don't know if I'll continue it.

kristenbooks's review

7.28.20 update: rating changed to 2.5/5. this book was alright/ok/meh.

---------

This one took an interesting and unexpected turn. The first two volumes are a pretty succinct story, so I'm curious to see what happens in the next volume.