The Recovery Agent, by Janet Evanovich

bpembert's review

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

mmwilson920's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

mygallaget's review against another edition

cliche-filled, flat 1 dimensional characters, it was an "and then" book, writing was just not for me

beckyburgess7's review

adventurous medium-paced

I listened to this book and really just didn’t find it very engaging

perscoot's review

adventurous medium-paced

This was a really frustrating read. Gabriela is introduced as this Lara Croft type character, badass, brave, adventurous, fiercely independent, and delightfully greedy. She has a charming love of pirates and dedication to her family. But as soon as her ex-husband/love interest enters the picture, she becomes bland and Bella Swan-esque. Also, her ex is...creepy. I don't care that they grew up together and he 'knows her', he crosses all of her boundaries and Gabriela never actually puts her foot down, which turns her from badass adventurer to basic doormat. The actual plot was a little messy and unrefined, but it was the most fun part of the book. That's not entirely a compliment.

I feel like the author has a lot of love for these characters, but unfortunately, she wasn't able to show us, the audience, what the hell there is to love about them. Gabriela is flat and boring, Rafer is creepy and drags the story. I went into this wanting romance, but as I read further in, I kept thinking that it would be so much better if the love interest wasn't in the story at all. His presence seemed to neuter Gabriela's competency in every scene, and I was not convinced that they actually cared about each other by the end.

The premise of this story gave me a lot of hope and I was really excited going in, but the writing was flat and boring. Finishing this book felt like a chore.

rnshack's review against another edition

3 stars

Gabriela Rose is everything Stephanie Plum is not. All of my complaints from the very first Stephanie Plum book were rectified in this book by Gabriela Rose. She is a total bad ass there is no doubt about that but there was just something missing in this book.

The Stephanie Plum series is one of my very favorite series of all time but this book didn’t even come close to that series. It was uninteresting and all over the place. There was more than one occasion where I was left wondering what in the historical hell are they talking about. How do they know all of this stuff. It was just simply unrealistic.

So let’s dig into the nitty gritty. First of all there was no, literally zero, character development. Which in turn caused me to care less about any of the characters. I honestly don’t really like Gabriela and Rafer was not much better. My favorite was Pepe and he wasn’t all that great either. I really hated all the killing, especially the ones by El Dragon’s hand, they just felt really unnecessary and didn’t add anything to the story. It was also super off putting that none of the characters really had any feelings about all the killing. They were all like, well that sucks, and then just moved on with their ridiculous treasure hunt. And then there was El Dragon himself, he felt like a caricature of a bad guy. He was just silly and unbelievable. His beliefs, the green smoke, disappearing. It just felt really childish.

All in all this just didn’t do it for me. Will I read the next in the series, sure I will, but hopefully this series gets better because I won’t be able to hang in there if book two is just more of book one. This series get one more shot from me.

amcgriff's review

Stephanie Plum series reworked but Morelli is the broke hot mess and Stephanie has it together. And is a rich globe trotter looking for things not people. Also there’s a ghost. Blue box Mac and cheese… life is hard this book is not.

deeofbkb's review

adventurous dark informative mysterious fast-paced

sarahthereader's review

I am a huge fan of Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum Mystery Series–they are laugh out loud funny. I usually read them and then listen to them because they are so much fun. I was excited to listen to The Recovery Agent, Evanovich’s new series. It was fine. I was entertained while I spent four hours cleaning but I don’t see myself reading further into the series. It was full of adventure but it did feel like the same thing happened over and over again. 3 stars.

chelseanagy's review