Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo

dercranberry's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

bookswithbecs_'s review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark mysterious medium-paced

_ckarys's review against another edition

The Darkling is beautiful and I love him. He must be protected.
Spoiler I don't care that he's the bad guy. I still love him more than everyone else. Mal and Alina are okay, but the Darkling is charismatic and his scenes with Alina were SO HOT.
To be honest, all the parts where he wasn't in the scene didn't particularly spark my interest and were little slow for my tastes--but that's just my personal opinion as the story is beautifully written. Leigh Bardugo is winning me over, I tell you.

sosciii's review against another edition

slow-paced

blue_wishes_you_all_the_best's review against another edition

adventurous emotional mysterious fast-paced

misch_is_bookish's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny fast-paced

pikachupotter's review against another edition

Found out about this book due to the new netflix adapation and whenever I see something that looks good from a show or film trailer I'll always try to read the book if I feel intereted. This was defintely one of the times!

Leigh has written a wonderful book here, it's concept of magic and the parrells to science made for an interesting concept. The idea and way the world is built with the different layers of magic made for a wonderful, fresh, and re-energising read.

The story as a whole was great, full of adventure that keeps you gripped from page to page! It was such a page turner which I've not experienced for awhile. The adventure, drama and excitement starts early on with great world building and some interesting characters who are all indavidual and unique. While some of the twists and turns felt expected the overall plot twists were very unexpected and I felt very intune with the story.

Personally, I felt this story didn't fall into the typical twists which have happened in books. Romance was not a pivitol point or made a soul focus throughout. The magic was explored in a wonderfully fun, colourful and enjoyable way which made it easy to visualise and understand what was happening.

moonlightmoths's review against another edition

I finally got around to reading this book and honestly, it makes me appreciate how far Bardugo has come. Shadow and Bone wasn't a half bad book, but it fell prey to some basic flaws that beginning YA novels do. The world building was vague, most of the characters were fairly generic, and the pacing was gradual. But as far as first books go, Bardugo does a decent job setting the stage for future books. What I enjoyed the most was that she took some normal YA tropes and turned them around. There wasn't a generic love triangle with the bad boy and childhood friend, it was very much focused on training and survival. Alina as a character wasn't compelling at first, but she made progress from being a meek character to being courageous and kind. I'm hoping she'll keep getting the character development she deserves over the next few books.

jaderw23's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

audreytrml's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious fast-paced