Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo

courtneybunna's review against another edition

This book totally surprised me! I honestly didn’t expect to like it as much as I did. I have been actively trying to expand my book horizons this year and when I heard that this was going to turn into a Netflix show I knew I had to read it. Plus all you lovely people talked so much about it #bookstagrammademedoit for sure.

I am sure someone has said this before but it was like a cross between the Hunger Games and Harry Potter. I love books with female empowerment and this one had it hands down. Romance, magic, and drama make up this amazing fantasy book.

I just bought the next 4 books and I can’t wait to start reading them!

thewileyseven's review against another edition

Listen. I enjoyed this read overall very much (seeing as I listened to the entire audiobook in like 4 days). It had big Throne of Glass vibes, especially for like the first half of the book. But I think that the critiques you'll see in the other reviews on this page are deeply valid vis a vis character tropes and only vaguely relevant cultural influence. Also... I dunno. Some of the key plot points in this felt somewhat... unearned? I'd be interested to hear other thoughts on this. I will most likely be reading the second one at some point hahaha. But I'm going into it with some wariness.

aubreeostroskie's review

adventurous funny inspiring lighthearted mysterious relaxing fast-paced

luischen's review against another edition

adventurous dark fast-paced

bobaballss's review against another edition

alina really pissed me off sometimes, overall it was a fine YA high fantasy novel. You can tell it was one of the first of its kind because its a little bit unpolished in in comparison to SOC + Crooked kingdom. Will still continue on because I want to know what happens + finish this series before the netflix show drop

parafilm's review

adventurous lighthearted mysterious fast-paced

haninapolen's review against another edition

A whole new adventure.

abnunziata's review

show mal > book mal

larafss's review

adventurous inspiring tense fast-paced

honeyroses's review against another edition

so... fucking... overrated. leigh's second worst book I said what I said