Frozen in Time, by Ali Sparkes

scottyreadsstuff's review against another edition

Interesting concept (cryonics) + government/spy stuff + vintage pop culture references + awesome characters = one of the BEST books of the year!!!!!!!

adabel's review against another edition

4.3
I say- this book is jolly good!
(Literally. You’ll see when you read it)
An absolute page-turner!

miaelli's review against another edition

*Re-read (13/7/17)*: This book is just as I remember it. It is full of suspense and tension, whilst being a light and fun read. It was really interesting seeing how Polly and Freddy reacted to all the modern day things that they'd never seen before. It was also funny that even though this book is set in 2009 there are already some things that have become out-of-date in the 8 years that have passed since it was released.

Something made my heart swell was that Rachel kept on pointing out the sexist comments Polly and Freddy made, but that Freddy also pointed out that if Polly enjoys doing house work she should be allowed to do it. It was such a positive way to show young people how feminism works.

Although this book is for 9+ I really enjoyed (technically I am 9+); I even enjoyed it more than some of the other books I've recently read. Ali Sparkes has such a creative way of making you fall in love with all her characters in such a short amount of time, and I'll definitely be reading more of her books!

meganlouise815's review against another edition

OMG I forgot I ever read this book! I'm pretty sure I read this book about 10 times over 2012/13 but I'm not gonna write down each time.

lizziepurpleserenity's review

This book was SO MUCH fun! A 'super' time and compulsive reading. You can tell Ali had great fun writing it. I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could but half a star off because it's not necessarily written that well in a technical sense. Just goes to show though, the most important thing - more important than grammar etc - is the story and characters, the believability and the authenticity of character (and narrator) voice, and so on. Ali's writing feels current, like a friend is telling you a story, rather than stiff and professional, and that was actually "jolly super fun"! As an Enid Blyton fan in my childhood, this was a great homage to such as the Famous Five.

adabel's review

4.3
I say- this book is jolly good!
(Literally. You’ll see when you read it)
An absolute page-turner!

curlyhairedbooklover's review

I loved this book so much when I was younger and read it countless times but it is still just as wonderful as it was then and I still love it to pieces.

poisoncourt's review

Awesome book...Good plot..

alwaysneedmorebooks's review

I read this book to my 10 year old boy. It took him quite a while to get into it - I enjoyed the 1950s language and the references to different cultures but that all went over his head but he enjoyed the action in the last few chapters of the book and couldn't wait for me to finish it. I don't think he would want me to read it again though and I don't think it is the sort of book he would have stuck with if he was reading it himself. I would say reading level is age 10+ but I think quite a bit would need explaining to the average 10 year old.