Reviews for Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott

kingorgan's review against another edition

challenging emotional funny hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad fast-paced

cdbookly's review

informative slow-paced

maylingkuo's review against another edition

I think the primary audience for this book is writers. certainly not a creative writer but I do quite a bit of writing for my job and thought this might help give insight. I'm not sure that was the case since so much of it is focused on plot, story and generally how to motivate yourself to write something that people want to read. that said, Lamott is an excellent writer; she's funny, interesting and gives solid, practical tips for anyone who's trying to write something that resonates with others.

asherl's review against another edition

I'm sure this isn't a very helpful review, but I loved it. Her writing did for me what she describes of other writers and stories: "You notice how a writer paints in a mesmerizing character or era for you, without your having the sense of being given a whole lot of information, and when you realize how artfully this has happened, you may actually put the book down for a moment and savor it, just taste it." (Page 233)

I savored every chapter, every page, and every personal story she shared in the book.

Thank you, Anne Lamott!

bookofcinz's review against another edition

I like writing and I love exploring ways I can improve my writing skills. Anne Lamott's "Bird By Bird" is a great starting point. She really starts from scratch with the writing process to how you get published. I like that she gave practical advise on how to start writing, what to do to get the creative juice flowing and simple things like walking with a paper and pen everywhere you go.

This is definitely a great introduction, if only the book could tell me how exactly to write a best seller, now that would be amazing!

If you see writing in your future, this is definitely a book you should pick up.

readcover2cover's review against another edition

I'm wavering between a 3 and a 4 here. I guess I will go with a 3.5. I think that if I enjoyed writing creatively, this would definitely be at least a 4 stars. I love Anne Lamott's humor and honesty. I've read a couple of her other books and I always feel that way. However, I clearly was not the target audience here. I am not a writer. I can crank out a research paper or a letter of recommendation quickly, but I've never been able to write creatively. She had a lot of what were probably helpful ideas and insights. They just didn't apply to me at all. Still, I really enjoyed her anecdotes and her writing style. I'm sure I'll be reading more by her!

fabisantiago's review against another edition

funny informative inspiring lighthearted reflective medium-paced

This book is for the writer's soul what Save the Cat is for plotting.

reading_ladies_blog's review

informative reflective slow-paced

rachsuzanne's review against another edition

Beyond relatable.

emmajoetta's review

funny informative inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced