Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life, by Anne Lamott

sydneythatton's review

funny informative

abbygrace226's review against another edition

Some of the best and most honest writing advice I've ever heard.

asilrenrut's review against another edition

This book is an excellent framework for re-initating a regular writing (me!) and/or moving through all the challenges and doubts that come with that process. I am going to use excerpts for upcoming classes.

I wish she did less frequent invocation of time-specific, niche-y cultural figures; those "misses" diminish the power of her work.

jessicalynee's review against another edition

Great book about writing. Fun to read.

tresdem's review against another edition

A great book for writers. It doesn't tell you how to write precisely, but shows the spirit of writing which is something we all lack from time to time. It's not how skilled you are, but if you can find the joy in it. And I think this book, bleak as it may sometimes be, is a good place to start looking.

simplyenchantingbooks's review against another edition

While I did enjoy it and there were some great parts about writing, and dealing with the emotion side of the writing world. I just didn't find myself swept up by it. For my tastes, it had too many tangents and anecdotes. At some parts it felt more like an autobiography, I actually ended up skimming parts.

Sorry to anyone who loves this novel, it just wasn't my cup of tea. Which is kinda sad because I was really excited about it.

For anyone thinking about reading this, just know that this novel is more of a pep talk. It talks about all the things that you've probably felt and dealt with when it comes to your writing. It definitely makes you feel better and gives you some motivation to write. But it has very little it the way of what could be called the technical side of writing. For example, help on description. It doesn't tell you how to make descriptions that are both useful and captures the reader's attention.

So, if you want a pep talk then this book is for you. If you want more of a writing reference/ improver then this isn't for you.

jeanettelenore's review against another edition

This book had some excellent perspectives and advice. If nothing else, Lamott's vivid descriptions of the constant anxieties in the lives of writers were strangely comforting. My experiences, as few as they've been, have been affirmed.

edunbar87's review against another edition

Meh

ethemreal's review

Bird by Bird is like 'On Writing'- except helpful, insightful, witty, dry, and most importantly: enjoyable. I started it expecting another book I would disagree with half of, and struggle through over the course of several months. Instead: I read it in one day, in about 3 hours. I highly suspect I will re-read this book, perhaps it will find it's home on the shelf of Yearly Re-Reads. I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone- though I will note (cw/tw) there are some secondhand descriptions and mentions of child abuse in various forms.

whever's review against another edition

I LOVED this book. Absolutely loved it. Anne Lamott effortlessly mixes laugh-out-loud humor, honest psychological insight, and common sense advice- this book was so much fun to read, as well as very reassuring and really, really helpful.

Also? KFKD? Priceless.