Mexican Gothic, by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

caitlinpeters_'s review against another edition

Brilliant

thebeesbooks's review against another edition

Had to Return to the Library...it started to get hard to focus...will try again later

ego's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I absolutely adored this book! Mexican Gothic really saw what I wanted in a thriller and it delivered! The new spin on the genre that focuses on white supremacy and all the horrible acts that spring from it, truly adds to the story and the genre, overall. The bits of mexican history were fascinating to see and I loved the atmosphere of this book. It left me feeling gaslighted on more than one time and it added a deep sense of dread and uncomfort. I adored Noemí, she's just the perfect protagonist for this, and Francis was a really interesting character that reflected a lifetime of abuse. This overall was an incredibly eerie book that made me fall in love with Silvia Moreno-Garcia's writing style.

tplencner's review against another edition

One of my first horror novels. Love the dark story line although it did take about 2/3 of the book before it really got going. Would be curious to read again(audiobook). In a few words, eternal life in the form of mushrooms, rape and incest.

meganagugliaro's review against another edition

i don’t know how to feel. i wish i hadn’t listened to the audiobook because i felt like i didn’t fully understand everything and was left confused on some of the plot. i didn’t care for the characters other than Noemi. i did think the plot was very intriguing and i was DEFINITELY not expecting things to go down as they did.

_candela's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense slow-paced

treehugger513's review against another edition

Ooooo boy! This was a good one! Delightfully creepy and very atmospheric. I LOVED Noemi. Got kinda weird like horror stories do, but it was unique for sure. I am not one to scare or get creeped easily and this was no exception. If you are easily creeped out this will get you.

gabbo's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

alexseath's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense

blainer91's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced