Reviews for Dead Souls, by Angela Marsons

fictionophile's review

I read this novel as June's title in my "Marsons of the Month" series of blog posts. My entire review of "Dead Souls" can be found here: https://fictionophile.com/2019/06/30/dead-souls-by-angela-marsons-book-review-marsonsofthemonth/

In DI Kim Stone’s sixth outing we find her working a cold case alongside a former colleague. Some human bones have been found and they are located on the border of two police jurisdictions. Despite years of animosity, Kim is ordered to work with Travis, the DCI of the neighboring police force, in a joint investigation.

Meanwhile, Kim’s team are investigating a recent spate of hate crimes. Blacks, Polish, Pakistanis, Gays, no one is exempt. Bryant and Dawson are out in the field, while Stacy Wood is working at the office behind her computer screen. She resents the attitude of her co-workers who want to shelter her from the ugliness of the case because she is black. She investigates on her own, without telling her co-workers or her superiors. This will prove to be a grave mistake on her part…

The narrative of “Dead Souls” alternates between the cases of Kim and Travis, and that of Bryant and Dawson.

Kim is striving to understand why she and Travis have been unable to get along despite the fact that they were once friends and partners on the job.

The two cases converge when DS Stacey Wood is abducted.

This sixth novel in the series has proved to be a worthy successor to the first five. It was interesting to see how Kim’s team manage to work without her. At the same time, it shows a little more of Kim’s history before we met her in the first book.

This novel exemplified the intolerance possible in human interaction. It opened my eyes to just how evil we can be to each other… It spoke to racism and xenophobia.

“The internet makes it much easier to hate”.

As I finished this sixth novel in the series, I felt certain that this entire series is one I will certainly recommend to all lovers of gritty crime fiction. Lucky for me I purchased the entire series in order that I might read one installment every month for my “Marsons of the Month” blog series. I look forward to reading the seventh book, “Broken Bones” in July.

Oh, and in case you didn’t already guess… “Dead Souls” is highly recommended by me.

nazeerah's review

This book series just keeps getting better and better. This has to be the best one yet. It is a must read!!!

This book deals with seemingly separate incidents which end up being related. I marvel at how the author comes up with such interesting plots.

I simply adore Kim Stone. She is a brilliant detective and despite all her personal problems, she does her job so well. One thing I really liked about this book is that it gave one more insight into the thoughts of Kim's colleagues. It adds more depth to their relationships.

This book deals with a very touchy subject - hate crimes. It was really scary to see to what lengths people will go to when they dislike someone because of their race, religion or sexual orientation. It was very disturbing but educational. It is definitely something that I as a teacher will speak to my students about.

I highly recommend this book but would advise one to read all the other books in the series as well. It will give you more of an understanding of Kim's character.

4nnalouise's review

This was a well written plot with well established characters. I really did not expect both plot lines to have a cross over at all and felt myself a little confused at the writing putting in effort to follow two separate story lines but it definitely delivered

suspensethrill's review

Each time I read a book featuring D.I. Kim Stone, I’m positive it’s the best one there is and that it can’t be topped. Also, each time I read the next D.I. Kim Stone novel, I find I’m wholly wrong. This is quite possibly the only time I enjoy being publicly in the wrong. I don’t know how she does it, but Angie manages to take these characters we’ve grown to love and wrestle them OUT of submission. Um, what Chelsea? Think of it this way; how many times have we started a series we love, only to find out come the third + book(s) have turned stale and stagnant, predictable in a way that disappoints the reader to no end and forces us to toss aside an author and move on to greener pastures? This has never been the case with our Kimmy; I think characters of long running series naturally want to become tired, but Angie maneuvers her entire crew into situations we’d never dream up, keeping the series fresh and the reader on their tippy toes.

For those who have followed the series from [b:Silent Scream|24483265|Silent Scream (D.I. Kim Stone, #1)|Angela Marsons|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1421169346s/24483265.jpg|44077500], you know that Marsons always includes an element of diversity and a focus on a timely injustice toward either a minority group or those of a more vulnerable classification (I.E. children or those with disabilities). This book is no different and includes a nice focus on what a nasty monster racism is. I won’t be giving away any spoilers, but I loved how she caused me to pause and do a little introspective thinking; as a white female in the United States who has lived an entirely privileged life, it was eye-opening and breathtaking to pause and soak up the horror that other races have to endure on a daily basis. Clearly this novel focuses on an extreme variety of such hatred, but the author does touch on a different type of racism, the type where people hold a fear of any other race assimilating into their neighborhood while claiming they cannot be racist because “they have a friend who is of _____ race”. This type of detail and uncomfortable thought provoking narrative is precisely why Angie always earns a 5 star rating from myself and many other readers.

As I stated above, I won’t go into detail concerning the plot, but I enjoyed how Kim was also put in an uncomfortable situation herself. We get a good bit of backstory into a minor character who has been mostly mysterious since the first book, and we also get to know Stace a little better as well. If you are a fan of exciting crime fiction with a lovable cast of close-knit characters, please pick these up. I rarely implore new readers to start at the beginning of a long running series, but this one is so worth it. The books are extremely affordable on kindle and you will race through them at lightning speed. I’ve once again found myself with a Bookouture hangover, as I just finished all the latest in my favorite series that they publish, so I will just cry into my pillow until it’s time to meet up with Kim Stone once again.

*Many thanks to the publisher and author for providing my copy; it’s always a pleasure to participate in the blog tours.

wc4's review

At this point, I think I should just cut and paste my reviews of all the previous Angela Marsons books to explain how much and why I love this one, too. This one is a bit different in that DI Kim Stone's team is forced to work separately. Kim is ordered to work a case involving discovery of human bones in a field with DI Travis. He's someone she used to work with but they had a falling out and now can't stand each other. That leaves Bryant, Dawson, and Stacey having to handle cases on their own. They ended up investigating sickening hate crimes, and invariably the old and new cases all connect to each other. I enjoy that Bryant and Dawson has to partner up when they did not really got along. Stacey became obsessed with a teenage suicide, deciding to look further into it without proper authorization. We see different and complex responses to racism and hate, from Stacey who has had to deal with it since childhood, and Dawson and Bryant, who are Caucasian males.
What else can I say? Angela Marsons is a brilliant writer who has penned another thrilling, engrossing book.

emmalynn's review

This was my fave one in the Kim Stone series so far and that means a lot considering I've been in love with this series ever since I started the first one.

Dead Souls might be a bit slower to get the plot going than the other Angela Marsons books (or maybe it's just me not dealing with change, here, Kim leaving her team for a while) but it's totally worth it considering how epic and breathtaking the last 2 thirds of this book are.

pgchuis's review

Kim is paired with a former colleague (now enemy) to look into the case of human remains found in a farm field on the boundary of their two force areas. This unlikely doubling up of two DIs running round together leaves Kim's usual team (two DS's and a DC) on their own looking into a series of hate crimes.

For the first two-thirds of this novel, I was ready to give it five stars; the plot moved along at a fast pace, with many little cliff-hangers at the end of chapters as we switched between the storylines. (Perhaps some of the chapters were a little too short and the constant switching a little wearing after a while, but whatever).

However, the ending was a disappointment to me. Maybe I am being naive, but the explanation for what was doing on seemed excessively gruesome and extremely unlikely. I also started skimming a little, partly because "action" really isn't my thing and partly because I wanted the action over so the mop up and holding to account could begin. The appearance of Tracy Frost didn't really add anything and the chapters from Jacob's perspective were so grim that I skipped most of them.

I liked Doctor A, although the quality of her English seemed highly variable.

danyspike's review

This is my first book by Angela Marsons and I'm sure it will not be the last. I enjoyed reading this book and knowing this author's work, so I want to start reading the series from the beginning!

Ok, I'll start mentioning the things I didn't quite like, so we can go on to review the good things.
The first thing that I noticed was that I was always aware that I was reading. The writing wasn't too fluid, so I couldn't get lost in the story and forget the world around me. That usually happens with new authors, so I was surprised to find that in the sixth book of a series. Related to that last point, some dialogues were too forced sometimes. Most chapters ended with short phrases such as (and this is an invented example):
"He found a body.
He knew who it was.
He knew what it meant.
And time was running out"
They reminded me of the beginnings of CSI Miami episodes, where the guy finds a body, puts on his sunglasses and says some cheesy line while putting his hands on his hips and looking towards the horizon lol

Now, let's move on to the good bits! I don't want to spoil anything, so I can't be too descriptive, but I'll try to do my best.
The plot in general was very intriguing and interesting. I really liked that Angela Marsons takes the time to touch the very important topic of discrimination while developing the story. It reminded me a little bit to what Henning Mankell did with his Wallander series: always a new complicated theme right alongside the murder investigation.
I also loved that there were many stories within the book, so you were constantly moving from one plot to another, and there were always something new to find, even when most of the time I disagreed with the decisions the characters made!
On one side, there's the rivalry between Kim and another detective with whom she has a story and now she has to work with. On another side, we find two investigators from Kim's team having to learn how to function as partners. Then we see Stacy, trying to work amidst talks of racism and figuring out if she could trust her gut. Finally, of course, there's the murder part of the plot. It all starts with some bones found during an archaeological dig and it all blows up from there, ending up in a nerve-raking scene which I really cannot describe without giving it away, but it's good!

That's it. Thank you NetGalley for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review and thank you Angela Marsons for a great story!

louiseog's review

This series just gets better and better.
I like the fact that the protagonists are real people with real, sensible lives.

This story is about hate and is chillingly relevant in our world today. Great.

dialogy's review

Loved this just like the other books in the series.

RTC