Everything I Never Told You, by Celeste Ng

charlsie's review against another edition

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

semlex's review against another edition

emotional reflective tense medium-paced

luodonnell's review against another edition

How to not be a good parent and traumatize your children in every way possible: a novel.

It was beautiful, though. Celeste Ng has a way with words and POV that I just love. Time and POV shifts feel smooth and blend into one another seamlessly.

gwilt's review against another edition

Wonderful read!

luongbaotran86's review against another edition

I absolutely ADORE this book!!!

christinakim's review against another edition

emotional sad tense slow-paced

lindick's review against another edition

Ok, I might've spoken too soon; I still wouldn't call it "depressing" exactly, but this book made me cry SO MUCH.

I don't know that it quite deserves five stars -- in some moments the characters seemed really one-dimensional, but on the other hand I think that was part of Ng winnowing them down to their essentials, to the emotional core of each of them. She says in an interview that's reproduced in the back of the edition I read: "any act of writing is an act of empathy," and I think that's generous, and certainly not true for a lot of writers. But it's SO true for Ng, it comes across on every page of this book. Which makes the book painful to read at times -- it's almost untenable, to feel the depths of empathy for each flawed character that she's pushing you towards, but you also can't not feel it. (Hence all the crying.) But I think it's also the book's greatest strength, and why I already know it'll stick with me so much.

rhymeswithtonic's review against another edition

4.5 stars. I literally couldnt put it down. Listened to 80% of it in one day and I was up until 3am last night. It wasn't what I was expecting, but it was very good. Definitely want to read her next one.

reillycar's review against another edition

This book took me two months to read. I’m not sure quite as to why. The first 50%- 60% took me ages. The story really picked up after that point though. The whole thing was beautifully written, as is customary with Celeste Ng’s writing. The last 50 pages were my favorite part of the book and they redeemed everything for me. Everything came together beautifully.