The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

pratha's review

adventurous dark emotional inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

alpettit's review against another edition

I couldn't put this book down but it still didn't give me enough hope at the end for any of the characters. So I suppose it was the story more than the writing that let me down.

danzibooks's review against another edition

I don't even know what to say right now, having just finished it 5 minutes ago. Powerful, riveting, moving story. And a painfully accurate portrait of humanity. For this book, I would give 5 stars a thousand times over.

kass32's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad medium-paced

qtxlinah's review

emotional fast-paced

Okay, first of all Khaled Hossaini s pen should be taken away from him. The amount of twists and turns and ups and downs this book had????? unreal.
Secondly, I m glad i read this book. I had a lot of thoughts about how different my reading experience as an immigrated afghan is compared to that with people unfamiliar to afghan customs. Its weirdly comforting and hilariously relateable the way afghan people… well they are all the same wherever they are. What really struck me is how an afghans story is filled with losses and they take it as is and his characters Amir and Hassan are no exception. Khaled my bro has a very profound way of making his characters human with all their flaws and decisions and that made me think “well thats how everyones life is”. We hate the father for who he wasnt, still we acknowledge from Amirs perspective how good he can be just as everyone has their flaws. An unspoken thing about Amirs past will  be buried with him because the brother he should have shared it to cannot listen. in a way that hurt me more than it should. i rooted for Hassan to know the truth. he deserved it. he deserved so much more but thats the thing with khaled hossainis writing… its brutally honest. Afghanistan is portrayed in a picture i wasnt familiar with firsthand. My familys fondly speaking about how good the days in afghanistan were even if there wasnt much it was enough. that spirit seems (surprisingly for me) to be a sentiment shared with how the afghan story is portrayed in this book. "Who in their right mind would choose that place over where we live now", i d wonder and i get it now. Strangely the Afghanistan that is remembered upon in stories wasnt the most gloryful but the nation of its people. Most importantly its a nation of people who deserved more than what they are given and thats what the author captured brilliantly. Besides the way the afghan language and manner of speaking is so naturally written, he captured brilliantly characters who deserved so much more!!! characters that shouldnt have ended where they have and thats the thing…. life is undeserving to the people and brutally undeserving to afghans.
I have a lot of thoughts about this book… a lot of positive thoughts. Really a Bravo isnt enough to describe this reading experience.
This book is worth a shot for everyone who is ready to bury your heart with the love of two brothers in that beautifully written prose. and if i ever have to read “for you a thousand times over” i might as well rip my heart out of my chest cuz that be easier………..  and yea fuck Aseef that little piece of dirt. I wondered where is the ugly little hitler fanboy at some point of the book turns out he was closer than i wanted

\\Spoiler\\
The scene where Amir turned westward and prayed his namaz…
I was so happy for him to find Islam in what its rightfully is. Him saying his shahada in the moment he believed everything was doomed is a very raw portrayal… The thing that calls us all to prayer is hardship. For without hardship there is no ease and its Allah who will grant us that ease. A  relatable message which we conclude through Amirs development imo

kerryanndunn's review against another edition

Finished this. It didn't blow me away like it seems to have done to other people. It was an enjoyable story and I read it quickly, but it felt a little cliched to me. It was extremely predictable and a little pat. Definitely obvious that it was a debut novel. I'm sure Housseini will grow as a writer and become free from those kind of cliched plot devices as he writes more and more. On the other hand there was some beautiful writing and imagery in the story and it's always nice to get some illumination on a foreign war from the eyes of someone who lived through it.

ele_idk's review

emotional informative reflective sad medium-paced

ilikecatsandbooks's review

emotional sad slow-paced

laureljobstown's review against another edition

dark emotional reflective fast-paced

thealcove's review against another edition

dark emotional informative sad tense medium-paced