White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson

briselli_kels's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

deathcabforkatey's review

adventurous mysterious medium-paced

amberxc12's review

emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

Wonderful audio narration brings this book to the next level. Another stellar thriller that waits to reveal the mystery until the bitter end.

abbie_'s review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

I started listening to this one by the pool in Gran Canaria and it was fine when my surroundings were sun and palm trees… but then I got home and was back to audiobooking while I walk my dog at 5am in the dark 👀 Definitely gave me the heebie jeebies!

I’ve listened to 4 books by Tiffany D. Jackson now, all up to now thrillers/crime/mystery, so I was intrigued and then impressed by this foray into horror. The atmosphere of unease she creates is superb, and at one point I felt genuinely frightened. I liked that she toes the line between paranormal and real horrors, and at no point did I know where the story was going!

I wasn’t 100% enamoured with Marigold, the main character. She behaves very selfishly at times, including making her best friend commit a felony?? 😂 Tbf, Tamara gives into that way too easily. There’s also a friend she makes in her new town for purely selfish reasons, and then something happens to them and they’re simply never mentioned again. A few little loose strings like that did feel unresolved by the end.

Like I mentioned earlier, White Smoke does a great job balancing creepy horror scares with real life boogeymen - corrupt politicians, laws that target Black and brown people unfairly, racism, mob mentality. Good anxiety rep too! But just a few too many straggling plot points for me to feel totally satisfied.

lostinthelakes's review

Absolutely BONKERS "marijuana addiction" and my least favorite haunted house trope

alexandergrantwriter's review against another edition

Very spooky and fun!! The beginning was pretty slow, but the pacing kicked up around the middle and had me rushing to the end to figure out what was going on!! Loved the development of Mari and all the themes discussed throughout the story!! Definitely recommend for a spooky horror story to get you in a fall / Halloween mood!!

CWs - frequent strong language, drug use / drug addiction

annamickreads's review against another edition

I was on edge the ENTIRE time I read this book, which is definitely what the book was meant to do, but talk about a heart-racing head pounding anxiety-inducing experience!!! Fans of R.L. Stine (who also left a really cool blurb on the cover!!) and Goosebumps will definitely enjoy "White Smoke."

There were so many aspects this book touched on that I appreciated so just to name a few while they're fresh in my mind: casual use of marijuana, which I never see in YA books when typically that's the first time young people are experimenting with its use, NOT TO MENTION marijuana as a way to soothe anxiety; dealing with addiction especially at such a young age; gentrification of the suburbs; blended families; mental health issues related to paranoia; complicated sibling relationships, and so much more.

Marigold was incredibly relatable and if I suspected my stepsister were possessed by a demon, I, too, would react exactly the same way she did. While we don't have the same degree of anxiety, her struggling to find a coping mechanism that works while also continuously having to face off against her deepest fears (whether subconsciously, or, one time, very literally) really put into perspective how it feels sometimes when the anxiety becomes all-consuming.

I wish I had a younger brother as fun as Sammy and I also think Yusef and Mari's gardening club competition is something I would watch endless re-runs of on TV. HGTV, get on that, stat!

kateycakee's review against another edition

Beautiful story

bethiclaus's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

jennihowell's review against another edition

This book gave me the absolute shivers. Horrifying. I loved it.