The Rosie Project, by Graeme Simsion

xcapologist's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted medium-paced

madelinemccrae's review against another edition

emotional funny inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

A lady at the bookstore recommended it to me, saying it was as if Sheldon Cooper and Penny had a romcom, but much nicer. I was pleasantly surprised by this book! It was just the right lighthearted romance I needed at the time. I look forward to reading the other two books in this series :)

karenllowe's review against another edition

What a quick, enjoyable read! great characters and fun plot. I recommend it.

kelleybean1981's review against another edition

LOVED! A little conflicted about the ending, though.

carmenbailey's review against another edition

I think it was purposeful to add dimension to Don's character, but I felt a foggy disconnect from all the other characters. The writing was hard for me to connect to. Of all the characters, there weren't many I cared for. This book was a dislike for me, until some insightful things Don realized near the end. I was proud of him for making changes to be what he felt was a better man.
I also enjoyed the book club discussion we had around this and I learned a lot about my friends' experiences with their loved ones/acquaintances on the autism spectrum.

bethe3's review against another edition

So, I didn't really care for this book the first 3/4 of the way through, but it was an easy read so I kept going. Then, I rather fell in love with it for the last part. It was a sweet story from a perspective that deserves to be told, and a cute, easy read to boot.

tinaj's review against another edition

It was a perfectly good read, I just didn't love it as much as I had hoped to. I think parts of the book would have played better visually for me, but when I was reading there were definitely occasions I wish i could have "fast-forwarded" the story. Real rating: 3.5

haydenjweal's review against another edition

Amazing! Warm fuzzies and lots of laughs throughout. A charming protagonist and rich sub characters makes for a consistently riveting read.
Funny and sweet and beautiful.

introvertedacademician's review against another edition

I decided to read this book because of the great reviews I read about it. In conclusion, I have to say that I expected more mostly because this book should be funny. I didn't find it very funny, but it was quite a page-turner, that I appreciate. Characters were complexly developed and for some readers also funny. It was light reading for me. Light but not unimportant at all.
In my opinion, we need more books like that. Books which describe struggles of socially awkward people lacking social skills in a non-typical way. Not in way of boring lectures and long articles in scientific journals but in the form of a novel, from which could also people without a background in science and psychology learn something useful. It is important to spread knowledge of how not just people with ASD but also another psychological problem could feel and experience. Because understanding is one of the first steps to acceptance.

hickso's review against another edition

I thought that this book was really quite a beautiful read. It incorporates elements of mystery and romance and seems to have the perfect conclusion, managing to tie all the loose threads together. It's as if Simsion realised that a romance novel needed something special, so he took the amusing character of Don Tillman and paired him up with the equally amusing though in an entirely different way Rosie Jarman and set them off on their quest to find love.

The book is from Don's point of view and he provides countless insight into the pointlessness of social convention and certainly taught me a thing or two about human behavior. In order to fine love, he creates The Wife Project - a questionnaire designed to filter through hundreds of woman and find him the perfect woman to marry.

Then he meets Rosie, a person who meets almost none of the criteria, but who Don cannot resist helping in her quest for her biological father.

As you read through the novel you see how their rocky and completely quirky love story plays out, the adventures they have together such as the cocktail night, the dance and in New York City and ultimately how Don Tillman is not undergoing The Wife Project - he is undergoing The Rosie Project.