Boy's Life, by Robert R. McCammon

auscanada's review against another edition

Had no expectations, but was not what I expected.

Picked up this book on a whim. Never heard of the author or the book but it got some prestigious awards in genres I enjoy.

Took me awhile to figure out this book did not belong in any genre but was simply a good read by a very good author. His writing was fast, fun, and very creative.

The book reminded me a lot of another book about childhood by a supposed horror author, that being Stand By Me. However there is a lot more whimsy in this.

I particularly enjoyed the impetus behind the book hidden in the book itself.

I definitely enjoyed it and will certainly return to the author in the future.

acknud's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I loved this book. It ranks right up there with my all time favorites. This is a story from a kids perspective of life, mysteries and murder in small town USA. The settings are described vividly in detail. The characters are fleshed out to where you feel like you know them. Some people will not like the racial descriptions but it is an accurate portrayal of the times. You cannot erase history just because you don't like it or don't agree with it. McCammon is right up there with the great descriptive story tellers. King can spin a yarn but I feel McCammon can match him word for word.

ianthereader's review

Can’t really imagine a better way to start a new year of reading. This had everything I love in a book. I will be shocked if this doesn’t make my top 3 of the year.

bukushelves's review

Easily one of the best books I've read. I wish I could give this 10 stars. Definitely a book I would re-read in the future.

Guys, do yourself a favour and read this.

shawn_of_the_read's review

adventurous challenging dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

middleditch's review

4.5. Charming. A wonderful boyhood tale with a mystery thrown in. This is one of those books that you could simply relate the story but you would miss the wonderful writing.

sammystarbuck's review against another edition

Oh this was a beautiful, beautiful book. Very reminiscent of [b:Dandelion Wine|50033|Dandelion Wine (Green Town, #1)|Ray Bradbury|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1374049845l/50033._SY75_.jpg|1627774], but just a touch more story-driven. And what a story! As far as coming-of-age books go, this one is headed straight into my top 3.

wanderingwindy's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

Robert McCammon has straight up, broken my heart.  I do believe I have just read my all time favourite book.  The hype is real and I truly thank everyone who ever recommended this to me… you know me well.  Boys Life is an absolute magical read.  There are layers and layers and layers of goodness in here… coming-of-age, horror, supernatural, mystery-thriller and the paranormal.

12 year old Cory Mackenson, his dog, and even his bike have all become my newest favourite fictional characters.  I now feel that I’ve lived in the town of Zephyr, Alabama in the 60’s for a few a spell and it’s a place I won’t soon forget. I both wiped away tears and openly giggled a number of times. This one’s a definite FEELER!

bjackrian's review against another edition

Wow! I picked this up on a whim and it was really, really good! A little fantasy, a lot of view into a place and time, and a mystery to boot. Highly recommended!

emlostinbooks's review against another edition

This was the monthly read of a group that I am a member of. This is also the first book that I completed under my resolution of reading atleast one book of the monthly read of my groups. I was a little hesitant reading it (specially after the disaster of [b:The Ocean at the End of the Lane|15783514|The Ocean at the End of the Lane|Neil Gaiman|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1497098563l/15783514._SY75_.jpg|21500681]). But this book was nothing like that. In every sense it is better than that. It just left me spellbound.

Story captures a whole year of a boy's life named Cory Mackerson. While reading the book I couldn't help but going back to my own memories of class room, stupid chatter with friends, that excitement before the summer vacations and bicycle adventures. If you'll read this I am sure you will relate yourself to Cory in one way or other.

This story so beautifully shows emotions for a 12 year old. Be it love, happiness, elation, thrill, mystery, nightmares, pain or death.

Even after all these beautiful things this book remains a murder mystery to be solved. Solving the mystery from a 12 year's POV was amazing.

This sure is going to my favorite and re-read shelf.

So just go ahead and read this beautiful story.