Foundation, by Mercedes Lackey

erinngillespie's review against another edition

alexandranoelle's review

Mercedes Lackey has long been one of my top two favorite authors thanks to her numerous Valdemar novels, and this newest one doesn't disappoint. Great plot, flows well, good character development - 5 stars. Can't wait for the next one in the series to come out sometime later this year.

mleckie's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

A general “feel good” book

declaired's review against another edition

I love the setting of Valdemar. I love the world, with its magical horses and magical people, clear moral decisions, and kindness winning the day.

(it's about as nuanced as a fairy tale with a moral at the end, though.)

the best part specific to "foundation" is probably the academic squabbling created by forming new colleges and new buildings. that's that good petty drama.

sleepninja's review against another edition

catherine_t's review against another edition

Mags has spent his whole life in Cole Pieter's mine, digging "sparklies" out of the ground, along with a dozen or so other kiddies. But then one day Herald Jakyr and two Companions arrive and whisk Mags away to Haven and the newly-formed Collegium.

Here, Mags finds more than he ever dreamed or bargained for. His Companion, Dallen, is his friend for life. And slowly, he makes friends with other Trainees: Lena, a Bardic Trainee, and Bear, a Healer Trainee. He learns things he never imagined, simple things like history, geography, and math. He gets weapons training. He learns to ride properly. And he learns, slowly, how to use his Gift of Mindspeech.

But all is not in concord at the Collegium. There are too many new Trainees and not enough Heralds to go around. Some Heralds don't like the new way of teaching the Trainees, as if they were Bards or Healers. And Mags finds himself at the centre of Collegium politics.

I've been a fan of Mercedes Lackey since I first picked up Winds of Fate and discovered the world of Valdemar, Heralds, and Companions. It's been a fair few years since I read my last Valdemar novel, I think, but I'm pleased as always to get back to Lackey's wonderful world.

Mags is a bit of a fish out of water. Until he was Chosen, he had no idea of the world outside the Pieters' mine. His world encompassed the mine tunnels, the sleep hole, and occasionally the Big House. His first glimpse of Haven causes some culture shock, softened only by the memories Dallen is able to share with him through their bond. At the same time, Mags is a shrewd judge of human nature, once he gets over the notion that everyone is simply out for themselves. He brings more than just his Gift to the table, as it were.

This is the first book in the Collegium Chronicles, which encompasses five books. Foundation's plot is mainly concerned with Mags and his new surroundings, but there is a thread of intrigue that I suspect will be followed up in further books. A reader doesn't have to be familiar with Lackey's other Valdemar books--after all, Mags is ignorant of all aspects of Valdemaran culture, as would be a first-time reader--but a long-time reader certainly won't be disappointed.

jasmeralia's review against another edition

Really liked this start of a trilogy but curious to see where she takes this. Reminds me of the Last Herald Mage books, with a less angsty protag, which is a bit of a departure for her.

gfmatt's review against another edition

Same old, same old. Amusing enough that I will probably read the rest of the series. Lackey sure can crank them out.

inferiorwit's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted mysterious tense slow-paced

xeni's review against another edition

Mercedes Lackey took a step away from Selenay and Elspeth and moved waaaay back into the reaches of time, back to where the Collegium was changing from just a center where a few people came together to share ideas to a full-fledged school for Heralds, Healers and Bards.

The main character in this story, Magpie, fascinates me, mainly because he came from a gem mine. Lackey really draws her characters from all walks of life, which is what makes her stories just so rich with details. Although most of the plots stay the same (evil threatens the kingdom, big main character hero/heroine flies to the rescue) the characters create new stories all the time. And Magpie is no exception.

I'm already hooked on this series, and I hope that the next books come out quickly!