Gender Queer: A Memoir, by Maia Kobabe

kylie62's review against another edition

annabithebook's review

beautiful exploration of identity and the words we choose

A perfect primer on how gendered words matter and honoring identities matter. I learned a ton and I appreciate the author taking the time and emotional labor to educate us through this amazing book.

purplepenning's review

emotional hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

This was exceptional — exceptionally personal and kind and gently paced and honest. A great example of how a graphic memoir can tell a complex story (and aren't all of our truest  stories complex) in a beautifully accessible way.

keshika's review

hopeful informative inspiring reflective fast-paced

moaningmyrtle's review

Loved this!

maddiewagner's review

emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

AMAZING. Kobabe really illustrates (both in graphics and in text) the deep frustration and unhappiness E felt during many periods of Eir life trying to figure out why things like sexual attraction and body development were so different in Eir experience. Seeing the process of understanding is very helpful for someone who is cis and I can't imagine how amazing it would be for a nonbinary, trans or other non-cis kid to read this book and see that there is such a range of genders and sexualities and that self-discovery is a process. The graphics really do help drive important points across - like the shell/nautilus of questioning.

cdelaroy's review against another edition

emotional informative inspiring fast-paced

slipppers98's review

emotional hopeful informative medium-paced

I appreciated the author sharing their journey of self-discovery without shying away from the hard realities of who they are and continue to discover.

quirkylitlover's review against another edition

emotional informative reflective fast-paced

cleolindbooks's review against another edition

This comic was amazing! Not only did it feel like the most accurate reflection of a lot of gender struggles I and others have experienced but never been able to put into words, but because it did not shy away from the real parts of life. Many stories will gloss the uncomfortable or difficult parts but this felt real and very reflective. I would recommend that every, even those comfortable with their gender, read this book to better understand how others may be feeling. It was real,m hopeful, and the art was beautiful as well.