Reviews for The Big Four, by Agatha Christie

marthabethanreads's review against another edition

This book was so addictive that I read it in one sitting. It differed from some of the other Poirot’s I have read as it focused on a group of criminal masterminds, rather than one specific case. Poirot wanted to uncover who they were and stop them gaining the type of power that could send shockwaves across the world.

Narrated by Hastings, Poirot’s trusty sidekick, we see his thoughts as well and the workings of Poirot’s mind. But we aren’t always privy to Poirot’s ideas and methods, which helped to keep my hooked as I needed to know what Poirot was thinking. I really enjoyed this one and found it really fast paced.

Quite often, Poirot mysteries involve him coming to investigate a crime that has already happened, but in this one he was the target. This meant that for a lot of the book by heart was racing and I was turning the pages as quickly as I could to find out what happens next. This one definitely kept me on the edge of my seat and I loved reading it!

rebeccaguyer206's review against another edition

I first read this book about 10 years ago when I had recently discovered H. Poirot and really enjoyed it. I couldn't remember much about it at all so I decided to pick it up and read it again. I'm so glad I did because I loved it. This is Poirot at his best. Within this mystery, there are really a slew of mysteries for him to solve that all happen to be connected to "The Big Four" and it is amazing to see him crack each case so easily. This "Big Four" is determined to basically rule the world through a crazy spy and intimidation network. It seems crazy that Poirot would take them on, but he did. Hastings was really gullible and not that sharp in this mystery, but even I had a hard time keeping track of everything going on. I love Poirot's trick in the end. Definitely recommend this one for AC lovers.

lifefullofwords's review against another edition

Grade: C+ | 2.5 stars

Not the best Poirot. This may be partly a matter of taste - this novel is more a political thriller than it is a mystery and that’s not my thing. Even Hastings wasn’t as funny as he was in past books. That said, I didn’t hate it. Parts of it were fun. I liked the ending okay. But ultimately I can’t recommend this book. I will say if you’re reading all of the Poirots (as I am) it’s not that bad. But it’s not that good either.

bookingournewescape's review against another edition

this book is odd and underwhelming. first of all, it’s disjointed. it’s hard to get through each chapter because it bounces off from one topic to another very quickly. the plot twists do not work as they were intended to. also, in this book poirot’s character and actions make zero sense. it seems like he’s doing a parody of himself. the whole plot consists of him fighting against four evil masterminds and the whole thing is just absurd?? i would like to go back to the poirot i know and love, thanks.

hazel_mb_9's review against another edition

Although the plot was clever and the concept was interesting, it was strange to see Poirot in a 'cat and mouse' style chase novel rather than a mental mystery. Recommended but not if you're more used to classic Christie.

sydneyyreads's review against another edition

One of the more racist Christie novels

stellathereader's review against another edition

That was a fun read!

miriamglickman's review

adventurous fast-paced
  • Flaws of characters centre-stage? No

vickie's review against another edition

Comments in <20 words: Plot forced; Hastings needs to stop fainting. Various murder methods might be better presented as separate short stories.

slayra's review against another edition

This novel is actually a collection of short stories involving four villains that seem to come straight from a James Bond movie. The group is known as "The Big Four" (funny title for the 5th Poirot novel) and Poirot has the help of the not-so-intelligent Hastings to figure out who is who and defeat the evil organisation.

I understand why people do not enjoy this novel as much as the others, but I also understand that Christie wanted to try and write something different. She is not great with short stories, so it is not surprising that this collection turned novel is not her best work. I have to give it to her for trying different story lines though.