Reviews tagging 'Incest'
NOS4A2, by Joe Hill
stephanieluxton's review against another edition
- Plot- or character-driven? Character
- Strong character development? Yes
- Loveable characters? Yes
- Diverse cast of characters? Yes
- Flaws of characters a main focus? Yes
Things I liked:
- The characters were great and felt realistic. We had time to get to know and love them before anything seriously terrible happened to them.
- The magical realism elements were really fun.
- There was a lot of tension! I genuinely didn't know what direction the story was going to go in. There wasn't a dramatic twist or anything, but I didn't predict the ending.
- The villains were scary. I didn't feel very scared when reading this book, but the first encounter the MC has with the villain is very stressful and tense.
- It all felt fairly original.
- We weren't overloaded with exposition. We slowly figured out what was going on as the characters did. I appreciated this!
Things I didn't like:
- As can be expected in a horror novel, theres a few upsetting/disturbing scenes.
- I get a little flustered in books when people have serious injuries and can just carry on like they're not in an absolute world of pain. Again, this seems typical in horror/thriller novels.
Graphic: Child abuse, Gun violence, Kidnapping, Self harm, Violence, Stalking, Gaslighting, Death of parent, Injury/injury detail, Confinement, Death, Animal death, Fire/Fire injury, Mental illness, and Police brutality
Moderate: Drug abuse, Drug use, Panic attacks/disorders, Sexual assault, Medical content, Car accident, Blood, Cursing, Rape, Misogyny, and Alcohol
Minor: Incest and CancerAnimal death:
Spoilera dog gets hit by a car and then it's head smashed in with a hammer. Very upsetting scene.
SpoilerOur main characters mom dies of illness. Her father gets shot by police trying to help her escape a situation. Many parents of the children taken to christmasland are killed but we mostly hear about it after the fact rather than witness it.
SpoilerOur main character gets locked in a room and the building is set on fire. Another character gets sprayed with gasoline and set ablaze. Another character burns his hand on a tail pipe. The MC burns down her house at one point.
SpoilerOur main character spends a lot of time in mental facilities because no one else can hear the dead kids from christmasland calling her on he phone and she struggles to understand if her "powers" are real or not.
SpoilerThe villains kill the neighbours so they can stalk the MC.
SpoilerOne characters power works best if she's experiencing pain so she burns herself with cigarettes.
SpoilerSome discussion of drugs and homelessness. Our MC takes an oxy at one point. A kid is drunk at one point. The gasmask man drugs his victims and children.
SpoilerThere's a car accident involving a character and a child at one point. There's also a motorcycle crash.
SpoilerThe gasmask man rapes the parents of kidnapped kids before he kills them. There's one upsetting part in which he tells another characters about forcing a dad to perform sexual acts on him. That part felt particularly upsetting. There's also an attempted rape of the MC but she outsmarts him. It is revealed early on that the gasmask man raped and killed his own mother.
ranocchietto's review against another edition
- Plot- or character-driven? A mix
- Strong character development? It's complicated
- Loveable characters? It's complicated
- Flaws of characters a main focus? Yes
The book deals with cycles of trauma, growing up and the loss of innocence, and how people close to us make a difference in our lives, it was quite moving at times.
I would say my main problem was with the pacing, it felt unfocused towards the last third, it would have benefited from fewer digressions. I also felt the tone towards the end didn't match the tension the author was probably going for, but it didn't really spoil the experience for me.
Do check the content warnings before reading, it can get a bit heavy. The fatphobic undertones made it quite uncomfortable for me.
Graphic: Animal death, Sexual assault, Gore, Child abuse, Abandonment, Addiction, Death, Stalking, Domestic abuse, Rape, Racial slurs, Terminal illness, Cancer, Blood, Death of parent, Fire/Fire injury, Gun violence, Infidelity, Injury/injury detail, Mental illness, Misogyny, Murder, Schizophrenia/Psychosis , Self harm, and Violence
Moderate: Alcoholism, Biphobia, Toxic relationship, Suicidal thoughts, Body shaming, Fatphobia, Homophobia, and Incest