mangela_28's review

Thoughtful and progressive, but as another review said, kind of forgettable.

gayancalime's review

im in love with an angel thanks

ellsbeth's review

This was a good read with interesting takes on characters I know and characters that were new for me. I plan to read more about Angela, Aldrif Odinsdottir.

captwinghead's review

Okay, this is the fastest I've read something since I started Invincible Iron Man. I'm finished??? That's it? [Tom Haverford voice] Noooooooooo.

I really loved this! I'm not usually a fan of Asgardian stories. Something about them just doesn't interest me but Angela. I love Angela!

This was so entertaining and I actually liked the scrolls and Asgardian way of telling tales. Angela is such an interesting character and I really felt for her. Admittedly, I'm a sucker for characters that are largely unemotional on the surface. This story does a much better job of making sure that you know she has feelings, they're just buried.

Interesting that Odinson and his family are the antagonists here. The plot was well timed. This is my first time reading about the character and even I knew she was going to save Laussa.

The story between Sera and Angela was so amazing. 10x better than many romances I've read so well done. Also, fantastic portrayal of a trans character. The writing is beautiful.

Loved the Guardians' role here as well.

I'm kind of in love with Angela and I can't wait to read more about her!

penguininabluebox's review

4.5*

This was SO GOOD! Angela is such an interesting character and I loved the appearances of Thor, Loki, and the Guardians of the Galaxy!

miraeli's review

*deep sigh*

I'll admit, I came into this biased. As a real life Heathen, I am... shall we say a little irritated about this whole Heven and angels thing.

Let me explain. The myths of my religion have been mangled by Christians for centuries. The most well known writer of the myths, Snorri Sturluson, wrote them with heavily Christian tinted glasses. He very likely rewrote a large chunk of the death of Baldr and the Ragnarok myths to have more of a Christian flavor; he portrayed Loki as the Norse Satan instead of a trickster god who gets fed up with his family constantly being shat on/murdered and then reacting rather understandably to such treatment. So. Let's just say I have a bit of a grudge, for everything that was lost, and for the suspect myths we were left with, care of a man who thought he was writing about dead Gods.

Let's also say the inclusion of a Tenth Realm called Heven where angels live, into a canon that has existed just fine without it... leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

It's not a bad book. Gillen is a strong writer, the art is gorgeous, and I even grudgingly came to like Angela (though I felt she was a little ridiculously overpowered at times.) There's even a trans character which I loved seeing.

But man. I just cannot get over the inclusion of ideas from a religion that loathed mine and tried very hard to wipe my Gods from existence. It feels a little like a slap in the face.

(Also, I despise Angela's outfit. Though thankfully it does change halfway through.)

Well, anyway. I read it mainly because I wanted to be fair and give it a chance. Not a bad book. Just not one I'm sure I can comfortably read in the future.

nmcannon's review

PRICELESS confirmed Angela and Sera's story as one of my all-time favorites. The art, the plot, the pacing, the representation... This creative team is now my #1 recommendation for queer Marvel.

aprilpoole's review

Enjoyed it. Definitely glad I'd read Original Sin prior to reading this, but really enjoyed the writing.

larakaa's review

by the combined awesomeness of Kieron Gillen and Marguerite Bennet - this. is. ANGELA!

great book, great story. love the little things in the dialogues.

kheleyr's review

I'm not much of a Marvel reader, but picked this up and enjoyed it. The art is sharp, steely, and bold, like Angela. The story was entertaining. Looking forward to seeing Angela and Sera's story develop in Angela: Queen of Hel.