The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

ka_th_be's review against another edition

dark sad medium-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

rubyreads4fun's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

spygrl137's review against another edition

I liked it. Very sensual, corrupt, and full of intellectual and philosophical teasers. Much closer male relationships than often exists today, which was interesting and refreshing. Lots of things hinted and not answered, making it intriguing and a little creepy.

trashmouth's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

pixelatlantis's review against another edition

I really enjoyed this book but I found that there was almost something missing. I liked the style of writing however at times, things seemed rather dragged out. I found the middle of the book especially dragged. I know that this was the time that Dorian was starting to realise everything that he could get away with so it would make sense that it does not have the pace that occurs later in the book, yet I found that his character seemed rather a contrast towards the end of the novel. I feel that it would have been better to hear a bit more about how much he really had sinned during this time. I feel that this would have been a better build up to the events that occur later.
I did really enjoy the book despite this. I grew to thoroughly hate Lord Henry and his influences on Dorian's innocence at the beginning of the novel. I also felt angry every time that they were together as Dorian seemed to become worse afterwards.
Basil's death was awful and was a great turning point for Dorian with him realising that he couldn't ignore all of his sins forever.
I would say that the latter third of the book I loved but I much prefer Wilde's more comedic style of writing.

aunol7's review against another edition

dark mysterious

lamartemis's review against another edition

nothing scares me but lord henry do

sorayee's review against another edition

(Very minuscule spoiler) I read this recently for the first time, after about three years of wanting to. It was far more real than I expected because all I knew about the book was what I had heard about the picture that grows older instead of Dorian. I thought it would be far more fantastical but this story has it's basis in real life and it outlines the deep-seated vanity that is apparent throughout most of human history. It also talks a lot about evil and temptation with Lord Henry leading Dorian astray and Basil always the voice of reason. I think that what made a good man in the society in which this was written and set is not wholly different to in our own and therefore it is still relevant. Although this book has a somewhat hopeless message, it keeps reminding the reader that Dorian could have prevented his fate if he had chosen another path.

sylviewhite's review against another edition

dark slow-paced

it’s gay, very gay but not gay.

majatejic's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective sad medium-paced