The Picture of Dorian Gray, by Oscar Wilde

sarawash's review against another edition

dnf at page 129
so boring, so insufferable.

byuns's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective medium-paced

The Picture of Dorian Gray was everything I wasn't expecting. Considering the time in which this was written, I'd say that it still has a profound impact today! Basil is <3

annabalch's review against another edition

Eh, I'm fine with it not being plot-driven but the rest of it was just filled with overreaching absolutes, I'm in college, I'm told plenty of those already.

inkdrinker_23's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional informative inspiring mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

milkfly9's review against another edition

The plot is quite interesting, a man who wants to be young forever and wants to be inmortalized in a paint, full of vanity, lust and himself. I like the way Oscar describes this guy, so perfect but at the same time it was too much, the book is quite descriptive which can be a little bit tedious to read. The end was nice and maybe the best part of the book.

coolbeans92's review against another edition

I like The Picture of Dorian Gray, and this is a reread for me. It was a ahead of its time for different reasons, and strangely enough it still fits in today's society just a bit with people still trying to capture that perfect image of themselves.

Is this one of my favorite classics? No, but its in my top ten.

carstairst's review against another edition

never gets old

kanjimanji's review against another edition

A story about magic that is very carefully concealed in the outstanding narrative and left to linger till the very end.

trudymckelvey's review against another edition

“The books that the world calls immoral are books that show the world its own shame.”

“There are many things that we would throw away if we were not afraid that others might pick them up.”

The most beautiful book I have ever read and one I will never stop recommending!

kevwoh's review against another edition

I liked the book, it was about a guy who sold his soul to remain youthful.