sydoodle's review against another edition

slow-paced

like don’t get me wrong. really great. written beautifully. i was so fucking bored and it was FAR too long. did not give a fuck this could have been an email

thelexingtonbookie's review

I had mixed feelings on this one- Larson's writing is really creative and intriguing to the reader, but in the case of TDITWC, the content was a little lackluster in areas- specifically for me, when discussing how shady architect Daniel Burnham is and the general architectural details. I enjoyed the creepy thrill of reading about Holmes and his disturbing, sneaky murders, but overall, that thrill didn't override the boredom of the other. It just felt a little drawn out.

whatjuliannaread's review against another edition

dark informative tense slow-paced

imyourmausolem's review against another edition

I bought this book because I love Erik Larson and his other works. This book talks about the 1893 World's Fair, which was very interesting. I learned a lot about the exhibitions and hassles that went into putting a World's Fair together. I have never been to a World's Fair, and this book made me want to go. As an added bonus, this book featured serial killer H. H. Holmes, and noted how he used the World's Fair to find victims. This book was mention on the reading list for The Last Podcast On The Left (Episodes 200-202). Holmes was one of the first recognized serial killers of modern times, and claimed to have killed nearly thirty people. He was only legally responsible for seven murders. I like reading about these historical crimes, and I thought the connection between such a well known serial killer and another major historical event was very interesting. There were a lot of complaints about the back and forth between the two subjects, but that didn't bother me at all. I thought the book was very good.

pepsipepe's review against another edition

informative slow-paced

ckjesq's review against another edition

Obviously enough to finish. Larson certainly likes to impress us with his vocabulary - which at times seemed a tad obnoxious but I guess I learned some new words. Interesting book but really two wholly unrelated stories and not what I expected. Book is what I would call "faction" or embellished non-fiction.

madiroo91's review against another edition

I learned a lot about Chicago and the World's Fair through this book. I didn't know much about H.H. Holmes before reading this book.

aphroditecomplex's review

informative slow-paced

cubanmermaid's review against another edition

This book was so underwhelming . It seems like the author just put two different story lines and tried to make them blend together.

juhlig's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark informative tense slow-paced

I love the style of Larsons writing - I learn so much about the time period and I’m kept engaged despite the dense and non-fiction nature of the book. Have a lower rating because the portion about Holmes was unsettling and disturbing. It made for a cohesive read, but I didn’t “enjoy” it. In my opinion, Dead Wake is far superior.