The Charm Offensive, by Alison Cochrun

allyyy's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful sad tense medium-paced

This is just a cute and wholesome story! This book is much more than a rom-com novel (although it very much is that); it also discusses mental health and has some excellent diverse representation.

I wish I could have gotten a digital/physical copy of the book because the voice actors for the main characters were hard to follow/believe at times.

isabella_favaro's review against another edition

emotional lighthearted fast-paced

lahren's review

4.5 stars

This was so cute. As someone who has never watched (nor wanted to watch) the Bachelor, I had been hesitant to add this to my TBR, but I had seen enough glowing reviews of it that I figured it was worth a read.

I really appreciated this book having both mental health rep and demi rep as a somewhat central focus. In particular I appreciated how it handled Dev's depression in that it didn't paint a picture where his depression was magically cured just because he found love. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for Charlie's OCD. In the beginning of the book his compulsions seem to make it really hard for him to function, but once he and Dev come together, it feels like a lot of that really just faded away because it wasn't convenient for the romance. That particular handling is probably my biggest criticism for this book because for me it felt like it diminished the value of this book trying to accurately represent a neurodivergent character.

But like, the romance was still cute, Dev and Charlie were adorable together, and the fairy tale ending I was hoping for — however unrealistic — was given to us. I think this book could probably have been maybe 50-75 pages shorter since a lot of things that happened in the middle felt repetitive and as though they were circling around the same issues over and over again. I still enjoyed reading this book though and finished it in one sitting, (which I almost never do) so I think it deserves the round-up it's getting.

silkenienke's review

adventurous inspiring fast-paced

takanico's review against another edition

emotional funny lighthearted reflective fast-paced

lauraly's review against another edition

emotional medium-paced

This book brought me so much joy.

The representation in this book is more than I could have ever hoped for tbh.

I'm not gonna go into detail about the rep but if you want to know just scroll to other reviews cause they all already discussed it.

Let me just say this was so diverse!!!

I loved it so much!!!

However some people are mad and say this book is problematic 😐

They do not however say that about other rom-coms with white straight characters only.

For some reason only books with a diverse cast get picked on for "wrong representation".

But of course books with maybe one queer or poc character (if at all) are totally fine with y'all.

Obviously I can not justify any racism in this book because I am not Indian, but I saw people of colour talking about this topic and how white people are always the ones saying that's racist. I for example talked with an Asian girl about the hate on 'one last stop' that was caused by racism and she said that while reading she didn't thought that it was very racist (if you know the context of the scene). She also said that she had a Chinese fried who shares her opinion and that mostly white people had a problem with that one slightly racist comment.
(Also I'm not saying that a slightly racist comment is okay cause it's most definitely not. However in the book itself the Asian character puts the white girl in her place for saying that racist comment.)
I'm not gonna explain this problem any further but on YouTube there is a girl who talked about that situation more detailed so you can check that out before being mad at authors for trying to put some diversity in their books.

But let's move on from that topic.

I loved the romance!!!

I don't really read rom-coms or romance books in general that much.
(except for contemporary (tjk, coho...)

Cause if a book is mostly focused on the romance than it either gets boring after a while or you don't like the romance and than you don't enjoy reading it at all.

But let me tell you these characters had chemistry!!!!

Oh god it was so adorable to watch these characters fall in love.

And I really loved how casually queer it was
(I mean except for the part with the reality show and that being a big deal)

But the characters were all really cool about it and I loved it.

This is now one of my favourite books istg.

And it wasn't stereotyped!!

I mean a few characters were maybe a little but not in a harmful way.

I was kinda afraid this would remind me of rwrb too much (after boyfriend material I have that concern with achillean rom-coms) but it didn't!!!

Yay.

Also I already have fancasts (a few of them aren't from the same country as described in the books but they fit the description otherwise and I didn't white-wash anyone dw)

Dev = Reiky de valk (I'm not sure where he comes from exactly but people on tik tok use him as a desi james fancast and it was really hard to find someone else who fit the age range.
Alternatively I also have Dev Patel who is actually perfect except a little too old 😭 but that's how I pictured him tbh.

Jules = beabadoobee (idk the vibes yk)

Charlie = Nicholas Galitzine (definitely only cause he's going to play Henry in rwrb haha)

I also have others but yeah I don't really want to search their names now so bye.

<33

(Also I NEED a book about Daphne's love story asap)

magnifique's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted medium-paced

mandijs's review

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

juliaspence422's review

Think The Bachelor, only cheesier and with a fairy tale theme. I love a queer romance and this delivered! There was also very positive messaging about mental health, which is much needed in books and romances.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.