The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

haleymaxinee's review against another edition

This was beautiful. I was so hesitant about falling for this book because of the entire premise. Boy meets girl, challenges her to fall in love in one day, and they spend it in New York together. If anyone knows me as a reader, they know that I hate insta love. It’s the worst. It never feels genuine to me and I just roll my eyes at all the nonsense every time. Except this time.. because I am so here for this insta love. Most of this story takes place during that one day in New York. We get to know each character so well, while they get to know each other. I loved every page.

Not only is there an adorable relationship between opposites in here, but there is tons of diversity. Natasha and her family are being deported. They are undocumented immigrants and must leave and go back to Jamaica. Daniel is Korean American and he struggles under the expectations of his family and what they want for him. I really enjoyed the family aspect to this. I honestly couldn’t have asked for more. We get to see insights from our main characters obviously, but then we also get to find out about the people they interact with that day. Including their family members, a security guard, a drunk driver, a lawyer, etc. The POV of “the universe” added so much to the story. The universe provided the look into the other people’s lives and then it also gave us information that was needed in a certain situation. For example, the mythology of the three Fates. Ahhh. I just love every part of this book. Natasha and Daniel are love, chaos, science, and poetry.

elliereids's review against another edition

emotional hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

awaywithwords19's review against another edition

2.5/5

full review to come. long story short, i didn’t like this as much as i thought i would.

mlkshks's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

cecepointofveiw's review against another edition

I loved how we got to explore both Natasha's and Daniel's cultural backgrounds. One of the main reasons for my rating is the focus point. I mostly cared for the discussions of race, immigration, stereotypes, and character representation. So the romance didn't have an effect on me, maybe it had to do with the fact the book takes place in one day or I'm a little rusty in reading romances. But either or I was able to find my favorite moments in the book.

eb10's review against another edition

This book was amazing! I do not have the words to express my feelings. I was laughing and crying. The writing style was very unique. It fit just right for the way the story was going and it made it so much more real to me.
Nicola Yoon is an amazing writer. She has a very different style and it fits with her stories so well.
I have read her other book as well and they are special in a way. A way that is relatable too someone who has never been in that situation. She dose a good job of laying out what it is like for the characters that isn't boring.
I have never been close to what these characters where going through yet I felt as though I knew what they where going through.
I loved all the aspects of the story.

Amazing book Five— ten stars! Amazing!

wonder_jenn's review against another edition

Revue complète sur le blog: The Sun Is Also a Star

DNF

The story started brilliantly but then completely fell apart. I couldn't get into it any further. I'm quite disappointed.

darluvsbooks's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny tense medium-paced

catpeestudees's review against another edition

I remember The Sun is Also a Star being one of my favorite YA novels, and after this rereading, I definitely see why. I especially love the backstories and tangents Yoon provide for side characters and concepts; it was so unique and brilliant to see all those little pieces come together to form the main story. In doing so, Yoon humanizes all her characters, not just her protagonists. I love the message that nothing happens in a vacuum and different people's actions affect other people's lives. Yoon also did a wonderful job handling issues regarding race, expectations, immigration and heartbreak. Only wish that the movie was as good as this book.

kaylyntran's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful lighthearted medium-paced