Reviews for The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

megan_whatmeganreads's review against another edition

Solid YA story. Quick read and easy to get lost in. I don't normally gravitate to YA, but I see how lovers of that genre could really enjoy this book.

pearlsandwool's review against another edition

I halfway loved this book. I guess I am bitter and don't believe in instalove so the whirlwind romance had me rolling my eyes. But, the writing was so beautiful I could forgive that? I'm very torn. I wanted a bit more than pretty words. I really enjoyed the perspectives of many different characters and the underlying messages were very powerful. I wanted to love both Natasha and Daniel and I did in some ways, but I just could not with their head in the clouds optimistic "true love" after a few hours of knowing each other. Overall, it was good-ish. Loved some aspects, didn't believe in others.

celestemarin's review against another edition

I really liked "Everything, Everything" so was looking forward to this. I don't know what the difference was. I have a bit of a problem with not being able to put books down and do the things I'm supposed to, and lately particularly with staying up too late listening to audiobooks. One of the best features of this book is that it was easy to put down and leave aside for even days at a time. On the other hand, it was less actively annoying than "Before Sunrise", thanks in particular to an absence of Ethan Hawke.

jayissimping's review against another edition

I am absolutely in love with this story.

The ending left me unstable and speechless for a couple of hours because I needed to know more; I needed to know what will happen next. But the amazing Nicola Yoon left that for our own imagination.

The contrast between Natasha's personality and Daniel's was imperfectly beautiful. Their story is unbelievably amazing. I love everything about this book.

"Koi no yokan"

sarahmurphytraylor's review against another edition

Really enjoyed this book! Shifts between narrators-Daniel and Natasha-and shifts from the present to the past in a fun way that I have not really read previously. Seemingly minor characters are also given the spotlight throughout the book. This was so fun!

samsbookcase's review against another edition

This book was such an easy read and it really bothered me when I had to put it down because I just wanted to know how Daniel and Natasha's story would continue but most importantly how it would end. I enjoyed Nicola Yoon's The Sun Is Also A Star even more than Everything, Everything. I love how she not only included Daniel's and Natasha's POV, but also the ones from characters that you wouldn't pay attention to at first. Like the security guard or the conducteur. You would get to know small parts of their lives and how their choices influenced the lives of Daniel and Natasha and I really liked that.

I fell in love with both Natasha and Daniel. They were so different from each other but still fit perfectly together. They learned from each other, from the way they look at the world and I loved seeing their characters and minds develop throughout the book. I loved reading about their different cultures and how they identified themselves in society. What their culture and families beliefs meant in the choices that they made and how it had affected their lives in the past. It was also educative for me as I don't know a lot about Korean culture or Jamaican culture and it's so refreshing to read a book where both main characters aren't white, there should be more of it.

I kind of hope there will be a sequel as I would love to read about what happened after the ending. We got to read a little in the epilogue of the book, but I would love to read about it in more details. Also can not wait to see how the movie will turn out!

pollydarling's review

This book is so cute, but also touched on some deep topics like immigration and growing up with traditional parents. I first loved the two main characters for their wit because one characteristic that I love seeing in fictional characters is being smart. I also loved how Nicola Yoon was not afraid to speak some truth about what it really is being an immigrant in another country and the feeling that you don't belong in a certain place because you're different from everybody else. The pacing of the story is perfect especially for a story that takes place in just one day. It didn't seem rushed for me and there were a lot of things that happened that were tied in a good way, making sure that all these events will put everything together in the end. I just got a little frustrated by the ending, but overall, I think this book is perfect to read in one sitting.

bookiesncookies's review against another edition

EDIT, RE-READ 10/30/16-Just as good the second time around!

MOVE THIS BOOK TO THE TOP OF YOUR TBR LIST, RIGHT NOW.

Typically, I don't like it if book has the "boy meets girl" element, but if that is the ENTIRETY of the plot, I'm all for it, especially if it is done as well as Nicola Yoon has accomplished in The Sun is Also a Star. I won this ARC for free and already knew I'd be reading it, but hadn't been anticipating it. Y'ALL SHOULD BE ANTICIPATING THIS BOOK BECAUSE IT IS A RIDE FOR ONE ON THE FEELS EXPRESS.

Natasha was born in Jamaica and has been living illegally in NYC for the past 9 years. They're meant to be deported tonight.

Daniel is the son of Korean immigrants who expect him to live the "American Dream"-go to Yale, become a doctor, and marry a Korean girl.

When they (and you, the reader) stop and consider ALL THE THINGS that had to happen for these two cuties to meet, your mind will EXPLODE.

The story is captivating-winding in alternating POVs from Natasha and Daniel, as well as side characters and observations to show how connected and inevitable fate and love truly are. I was hooked in the first 30 pages. I'm now gonna go read [b:Everything, Everything|18692431|Everything, Everything|Nicola Yoon|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1450515891s/18692431.jpg|26540216] and *hope* to get over this book hangover.

kdinnocenti's review against another edition

You could read this charming YA book in a day (I did)! Really snappy, charming story of unexpected encounters, the tiny ways in which we greatly impact those around us, and loving through complications.

morningstar916's review against another edition

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE THIS BOOK. I'm not a *huge* contemporary reader (but there are exceptions.) I thought this book was so amazing. It may not have been believable (especially at the end) bu I don't care. I love how much both characters had going on, yet how fast they felt and how they interacted with each other. I love the family issues they both had. It was interesting to explore. I also loved both perspectives and going back and forth.