The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

electroclan17's review against another edition

I was actually a bit surprised by this book. I thought it was only going to be in Daniel & Natasha's perspectives but it was in a few others as well. I thought I would not like it at first but it helped me understand the message of the book more (or at least the message I got from the book) which is that people change people and everyone can affect everyone else in either a good or bad way by just one action. I mostly read this book because I saw the trailer and was interested in the movie (the book is always better than the movie). I'm glad I read it because it turned out really cool. The ending was my favorite part which is actually rare for me. Usually, I don't want a book to end but this time I liked how it ended. It was satisfying, to say the least.

elvis_waugh's review against another edition

I kept telling myself that this is a work of fiction ... suspend belief ... just ride with it ...nope, nope, nope.

I finished it just see how it would play out *sigh* if not for the ending it may have been rated 3 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed the other character histories and the sense of place but the OTT co-incidences marred and jarred the narrative. Fate and free will? I must be a jaded cynic. Fall in love in 12 hours?!? Pass me a barf bucket.

sukhmanis_reading_corner's review against another edition

Perfect. Absolutely and wholeheartedly perfect.

what_leah_reads's review against another edition

This book left me feeling conflicted. The ending isn’t as “happy” as one would assume from a YA novel which maybe isn’t a bad thing and more realistic. I just had such a hard time with how deep these two teenagers were and believing it to be authentic. I did enjoy the immigration story line. Would I recommend? Yes. Would it be my first recommendation? No.

howlsophie's review against another edition

read it. thats it. thats the review.

jessandhershelf's review against another edition

I mean, I didn't hate the book. It's just...the weird different perspectives to give information that could have been incorporated into the main characters POV chapters was slightly grating to me, but if you're looking for a cute, easy read, then read on! Also, if you do choose to read this, Natasha's character does get better, but it's more of this "cynical girl meets guy and is no longer cynical" type deal. It's a cute book, and the author taps into some racial injustices, but I had higher expectations for it.

cosbrarian's review against another edition

This was even better than Everything, Everything in my opinion. The conflict of Natasha's upcoming deportation is, obviously, fiercely relevant and her family's story is a unique perspective. The character histories and cultural lessons interspersed will feel familiar to the unique way Yoon's first book was written but enrich this story even more than her debut book. This book is like a perfectly seasoned meal, the kind that explodes with flavor and subtle surprises with each sniff and bite. I'm already excited for her next book (which as far as I know is only in her brain but I'm endorsing it now). Fantastic audio performance, too!

mw718's review against another edition

Easy, sweet read.

mharrgtn's review against another edition

3.5 stars

bethstuartx1's review against another edition

OMG I LOVED THIS SO MUCH MORE THAN I THOUGHT I WOULD !!!