The Sun Is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon

heidiliz's review against another edition

I honestly don't know why I do this to myself. The main and only reason I read this book was that there's a movie adaptation in the works and I wanted to see what the hype was about. I can confidently say that I was extremely disappointed. I couldn't stand the characters at all.

Daniel is so goddam creepy that I don't understand how he's a love interest. He spends the beginning of the book literally following Natasha around the city even when she tells him to leave her alone and he obviously doesn't because he fell in love with her like 5 seconds after seeing her. When he’s not stalking strangers, he spends the rest of his time screaming “we’re meant to be!” at Natasha’s face and using those annoying ass parenthesis. It's like every other second there was one and I just wanted it to freaking stop.

I really, really wanted to like Natasha because she seemed at least a bit more realistic than Daniel but of course, I didn't. It's her actions that really put me off because she definitely came off as "I'm right and nothing else is" and all I could think was oh my god shut the fuck up. When the attorney she’s supposed to meet with is going to be late because he got into a goddamn car accident, she reacts in the most annoying way possible. “But we have an appointment now.” My whine is uncharitable, but I can’t help it. “I really need him to help me." I get it, she's about to be deported and he might be her last chance but at least have some sympathy that he was fucking hit by a car. Also, when Daniel took her to a Korean restaurant to eat, she deadass asked him "How come you call yourself Korean?" she asks after a few more sips. "Weren't you born here? Oh, I don't know maybe because that's what he wants to call himself to make things easier when others ask him where he's really from. I really can't see why this bothers her since it's up to him to call himself whatever he damn wants.

And their romance? I have never, in my life, read instalove as bad as this. I truly hate instalove and it's one my worst pet peeves because it's just not realistic. If the author is going to make two characters fall in love in the span of 300+ pages, at least show SOME type of connection. Natasha spent almost half of the book denying that Daniel can make her fall in love with him in a span of a day. If she truly believed he was bullshitting her, why didn't she just walk away and forget about him but instead she gave him the time of day instead of doing something else. Their dialogue was also so cheesy that made me want to throw the whole book away. What kind of 17-year-olds talk like that? If they hadn't mentioned their age, I would've assumed they were in their 20s, that's how bad it was.

I picked this book up because I thought it would be interested since it's about Natasha, who's an undocumented immigrant, about to be deported. But it seemed like Natasha's upcoming deportation was more of a plot device to add some type of emotion to the story. Natasha deadass says she's happier about Daniel than the chance of not getting deported. There are people whose lives are ruined because of deportation and in this story, it's just a time stamp on their relationship in order to add some more drama. That's not okay and it's actually disgusting.

electroclan17's review against another edition

I was actually a bit surprised by this book. I thought it was only going to be in Daniel & Natasha's perspectives but it was in a few others as well. I thought I would not like it at first but it helped me understand the message of the book more (or at least the message I got from the book) which is that people change people and everyone can affect everyone else in either a good or bad way by just one action. I mostly read this book because I saw the trailer and was interested in the movie (the book is always better than the movie). I'm glad I read it because it turned out really cool. The ending was my favorite part which is actually rare for me. Usually, I don't want a book to end but this time I liked how it ended. It was satisfying, to say the least.

nixwolfwood's review against another edition

4.5 Platypires

I'll be honest, I was iffy about this one after reading Everything, Everything. Not that I disliked that one, but a gender and race swap isn't enough to make it not Bubble Boy. Anyway, I spent a while debated on whether or not I should read this one before I finally gave in.

Read more here:

mpshain's review against another edition

I can't say much more than wow. Yoon is now one of my favorite authors, definitely an auto buy for me. This book was incredible. Definitely brought light on a hot topic, but did it in a way that makes readers able to connect with the characters, even if you had not experience what they were experiencing. Definitely one of my favorites of the year, if not my favorite. Sad I devoured that book so quickly, but anxiously waiting Yoon's next release.

kristinbetweenthepages's review against another edition

THAT ENDING

lady_loki's review against another edition

2.5 stars
RTC
*********
Me throughout this book:

This book is the definition of instalove. I was really bored and hated both of the main characters, but I forgot their names... so they are now person 1 (the girl) and person 2 (the boy). Person 1 was annoying and seemed egocentric to me, and person 2 gave me Edward Cullen vibes (aka stalkerish vibes). Both of the characters were plain and boring and I hated them...

So, usually I don't mind instalove, but this instalove was horrible. I mean, after HOURS these too are *clears throat* ✨iN LoVe ✨ You could have at least given it one or two days, but noooo it HAD to be hours! Every time these two talked about how In LoVe they were I rolled my eyes and gagged (then again that could just be my dark soul).
This book also had weird pacing, because they were walking around New York for a day, but with everything they were doing (museum, karaoke, going to a hair store twice, seeing person 1's parents and probably more) seemed like it should have taken two or three days.

BUT this book isn't all that bad... for one, there's the cover... it's really pretty... then there's the racial representation... and-and...

and that's it.... Yeah... this book is 1.5 stars now...

readwithlissanne's review against another edition

I read this after I'd decided to go the movie and I couldn't be happier that I made the decision to read the book first.

This book is great if you enjoy contemporaries (if not, don't even start it). It's perfect for those sunny days where you do nothing but lounge in the sun and read.

I liked the characters, I didn't love them. And maybe that's why I gave this book only 4/5 stars. The story as a whole was very enjoyable and pleasant to read, but I couldn't connect with the characters as much as I would've liked.
I also had to get used to the way Nicola Yoon uses her chapters. They're usually very short, and sometimes you suddenly read a little about the history of hair and what it symbolizes. I liked those little chapters. I also liked that she got back to one particular short chapter in the Epilogue, because I was well and truly shocked to read about that certain character.

In short, I highly recommend it if you enjoy reading contemporaries and you want to story about two polar opposites falling in love.

ciara85's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective fast-paced

marialopez's review against another edition

nomadmonica's review against another edition

I am not a hopeless romantic. This is a book for hopeless romantics