We're Not Broken: Changing the Autism Conversation, by Eric Garcia

ruansitian's review

challenging emotional hopeful informative reflective sad medium-paced

itsmejennigee's review

challenging hopeful informative reflective medium-paced

These types of reads should be required reading. They would help to remove the stigma that they are openly talking about because they would be raising awareness I’m all the right ways through comparison and a variety of voices. It’s well written and relatable because of the concerns that Autistic people face with a spectrum that most people don’t understand or want to acknowledge

bailey_the_bookworm's review against another edition

informative reflective slow-paced

Wide-ranging, interesting, informative, and well-researched content on autism, autism policy and research, and life as an autistic person. Could have used a more thorough proofread

avoiding_the_stress's review against another edition

challenging informative slow-paced

unwound_reader's review

How do I gift this book to everyone in my life without being passive aggressive?

No but really I think everyone should read this book. Lots of autistic history and first person accounts on what it’s like to be autistic (especially in different generations). If you work with autistic people, are a parent of an autistic person or are yourself an autistic person you should read this book.

cocoaoca's review

Great autism advocacy read!

huichola's review

informative slow-paced

We're Not Broken is a good place to start educating yourself about autism — I found that it could be very helpful for neurotypical folks as well as autistic. Much of what was shared in the book felt reaffirming and at times even educational to me as a late diagnosed autie. I really appreciated the way the author centered the truth in how race, gender, and socioeconomic status impact diagnosis and lived experience of autistic peoples.

"There is this conception that Autistic people are permanently children and angelic, but that is largely because the common archetype of an Autistic person is a white person. The perpetual child image is the result of the fact that most Autistic people featured in media are white. America largely assumes innocence and excuses fault for many white people, and often in the case of Autistic people, society chalks up their mistakes to their disability. Autistic people of color, be it Black or brown, aren't given that luxury. We aren't given the benefit of the doubt, and our odd behaviors — the way we rock, the way we avoid eye contact, the way we stim to calm ourselves down when around police — become cause for suspicion. All of this stems from the perception that Autism is a white condition. A racialized Autism means that Black and brown people on the spectrum are overlooked by clinicians while their behavior is perceived as dangerous by the police and the broader public."

"Autistic people often don't pay attention to the same set of societal norms as everyone else. And with that freedom comes a vision. We can see a lot of the social rules around gender are bullshit. And the research supports the idea that a large swath of gender queer people are also Autistic. In 2014, a survey showed that gender variance was 7.59 times more common in participants with ASD than in a large comparison group."

"Autistic women whose neurotypes are ignored can face harsh consequences. Just like other people who aren't recognized for who they truly are. One 2016 study published in the Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders surveyed 14 women who diagnosed with Autism later in life and found that almost all experienced one or more mental health difficulty with anxiety, depression, eating disorder being the most commonly reported. Many of the women were dismissed by professionals when they expressed that they thought they might be Autistic."

"'It's interesting to see how, because I grew up undiagnosed, I was forced to accomodate everyone else and change my personality to fit in, whereas you see a lot of white men who are diagnosed very young and then are given all sorts of excuses for bad behavior.' Ray said she got used to being uncomfortable and because she didn't know she was Autistic, assumed everyone else was too. 'When I realized I was Autistic, I was like oh! you guys aren't in constant pain? you guys don't say yes, even though you want to say no?' Ray said that her diagnosis enabled her to set boundaries, which Autistic people are rarely taught about."

"The schema of the Autistic male is quirky and awkward. But women aren't given the same liberty to be gauche. If I miss a social cue, it's like I'm falling down on the job of being an emotional caregiver that society expects of most women."

lynn_webb's review

As someone who has autistic relatives, I never really thought about what it truly must be like and never thought to ask the question. It just seemed like another fact/part of them. In thinking this, I truly believe that it is easy to, for lack of a better phrase, forget about many of the difficulties that others have. This is especially true if it does not personally affect you, someone, you know, or is not presented in media regularly.

I loved the fact that Gracia decided to not simply write a memoir. Instead, the stories of many people were incorporated to showcase the range of experience for those on the spectrum. I found the book incredibly insightful just by getting a glimpse into the lives and stories relayed.

I appreciated the knowledge presented on many subjects including, healthcare, education, race, and many more. I learned so much that I didn’t know I didn’t know. I am grateful to Gracia for the way the information was presented. Not only did I find myself invested in what I was reading, but I also find that I look forward to learning more moving forward.

Voluntarily reviewed after receiving a free copy courtesy of NetGalley, the Publisher, and the author, Eric Garcia.

julie_tibbs's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful informative inspiring reflective sad medium-paced

rebbiest's review against another edition

I really wish more allistic people would read and talk about this book and listen to autistic voices!