What White People Can Do Next: From Allyship to Coalition, by Emma Dabiri

sineadcstories's review

challenging hopeful informative inspiring reflective slow-paced

verbivoracious's review against another edition

"We have to at least attempt to imagine outside and beyond the race logic inherited from long-dead elite European men, and conceive other ways of dreaming, living, and being."

If you are interested in antiracism, and have maybe been put off by performative gestures on social media or feel confused about what can actually be changed, this is the book for you.

This essay urges us to move from a white guilt/white saviorism-centric model of allyship to building a coalition of shared goals and interests. It reminded me of Heather McGhee's concept of the Solidarity Dividend, and the idea that antiracist policies and interpersonal relationships are both moral and just for BIPOC, and also also better for everyone and the planet.

Dabiri's analysis looks at how racism intersects with capitalism and environmentalism, all while questioning the basic assumption of race, which she reminds us, is a fictitious social construct.

Each chapter tackles a concept in antiracism, including: Stop the Denial and False Equivalencies, Interrogate Whiteness and Capitalism, Denounce the White Savior and Abandon Guilt, Pull People Up on Racism, Stop Reducing Black People to One Dimension, Read, Read, Read - and Dance, Redistribute Resources, Recognize This Shit is Killing You Too, and Postactivism.

I started highlighting insightful quotes and realized I was pretty much going for the whole book.

ladylazarus82392's review

informative reflective fast-paced

robynmoore's review

hopeful informative inspiring medium-paced

cmclarabee's review

Mind-blowing and important. Emma Dabiri has enlarged my frame of reference in multiple ways. Now to get cracking on some of the works she cited!

dullhilarity's review

No rating because I don't rate non-fiction.

Would highly recommend this little book for anyone who wants to truly evaluate whether they are an 'ally' or not. As well as being rooted in the 21st century, with references to George Floyd and the black lives matter protests, there is also quite a lot of history concerning slavery, colonisation, and the origin of the concept of race itself. It's a very short book, but packs a lot of information in, giving a wide look of racism over time. What White People Can Do Next should be required reading.

nancyreads's review against another edition

Really important and one of the more unique anti-racism books ive read! Made me think of race & privilege a lot differently

mellifera's review

informative reflective fast-paced

benpurvis42's review against another edition

My only source of disappointment is that it's not longer

nlusson's review