boiling_avocado's review against another edition

challenging emotional informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

mikeebeth's review against another edition

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring reflective medium-paced

Vicky's story is incredible. As someone who grew up in evangelical Christianity and the purity movement, I related so much to her struggles with purity culture. It was heartbreaking to read about her emotional isolation due to her sexuality and keeping part of herself hidden from the community she loved so much, and being thrown away when she finally was authentic.

kiwi_zoe's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring medium-paced

deelybee's review against another edition

Inspiring

lizziesscribbles's review against another edition

This is the kind of book everyone should read. I’ve always struggled to comprehend the difference between what the church often teaches and what Jesus’ message so clearly is. Despite love being so obviously the root of all God’s commands, I often found myself sitting uncomfortably and listening to people preach from a place very disconnected from love.
Although this book is a memoir, it has helped me understand so much and I truly have hope that one day the church will be a safe place for everyone.
Please open your heart and be kind above all else.

whyamireading's review against another edition

emotional inspiring reflective medium-paced

hilarymak's review

Very moving memoir - should be read by all evangelical Christians no matter what their beliefs on the sexuality debate.

alicema's review against another edition

Read within one afternoon - though I am neither christian or gay, the book holds valuable lessons for all of the values of independent, critical thinking.

clarissagosling's review against another edition

Amazing and heart-breaking. Vicky is brutally honest and open about her life. She is inspirational!

boswall_books's review