An Offer From a Gentleman, by Julia Quinn

anovelglimpse's review against another edition

3.5 Stars
This Cinderella-like tale started out in the best way. I loved how Sophie and Benedict met the first and second time. Where things got messy for me was Sophie keeping things a secret from those who could and would have helped her, and Benedict. The dude thought of no one but himself. Even when he was thinking of Sophie, it was in terms of what he wanted. I got it to a point. After that, it was infuriating how he treated her. I did love how he and Violet later came to her aid, though. That made up for some of it. In the end, it was a book I liked and didn't love as much as the first two. The narration was as fabulous as the first two books.

evakonic's review against another edition

adventurous funny lighthearted fast-paced

kindleatkape's review against another edition

This one's my favorite. It feels like a Cinderella retelling. <3

josiegl's review against another edition

Not the biggest fan of this one, the whole first half was Disney’s Cinderella. I liked the general plot but I’ve heard it a million times before. Not terrible, but not the best Bridgerton book.

tambrads's review against another edition

Objectively not an amazing book but we love a Cinderella story!! Quite different from the rest of the series and nice to read a storyline that I assume (and hope) they won't use in the show.

dusang's review against another edition

As previously noted (in my review of The Duke and I), the Bridgertons were my first introduction to the world of romance beyond Harlequin. At the time, I was 3stars lukewarm on this. On second read, five years later and deep in the genre, I don't like this at all and am reducing it to 2stars.

First, Benedict is trash. He's high-handed and self-righteous with absolutely no regard for Sophie as an adult human being with rights, dignity, or intelligence. Sure, it's period-appropriate for him to be entitled and a bit oblivious but he never seems to understand the constraints on Sophie's freedom of choice or even attempt to seriously reflect on the ramifications of her social status.

Second, Sophie just does not use her words and is ultimately a bland pushover. She has a lot of good arguments in her head but never says any of it, which ultimately lets Benedict both get his way and never fully understand what a dick he's being.

Finally (and almost most egregiously) there are glaring in-book continuity errors that are almost offensively careless.
SpoilerFirst, Sophie's epiphany that Benedict loves her because he shared his art with her -- he didn't share his art with her, she snooped while he was unconscious. They did have a brief conversation about it but that's really only because she had already looked. Second, that Sophie and Penelope had had any interaction at the masquerade. Benedict was walking toward Penelope and turned away from her to see Sophie. To awkwardly retcon that Penelope and Sophie were in physical contact at that moment is beyond careless.

sophievivien's review

lighthearted relaxing fast-paced

lollypopzoo's review

I thought that I wouldn't like this one very much because it is a retelling of Cinderella. I feel like there are a million of those and they stopped intriguing me a long time ago. But, the true Cinderella-ness retelling ends around the 20% mark and the rest of the book is as much fun as the others I've read in the series. I love the family dynamics, and the relationship between Benedict and his mother is central to this story. Violet is the best!

bettycooperdraper's review against another edition

laylacarstairss's review

lighthearted fast-paced
  • Strong character development? N/A

If only it wasn't insta lovey  :/