Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews

mbeep's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

origamy's review against another edition

adventurous emotional funny tense fast-paced

OK I'm really glad I decided to give the series another shot with this one because this was such an improvement imo. Really liked Kate this time around and how she grew less blase about things. The story was a lot more interesting and I was way more invested. Curran is also really growing on me and shaping up to be a good MMC, very similarly to Rogan. Liked the banter and UST between the two of them, the buildup is really good.

smuttea_matcha's review against another edition

I definitely liked this more than book one. I liked the development of the Kate and Curran romance and I also loved the addition of Bran. I'm sad that we can't see any more development in his character though. I felt like the whole issue in this was overbuilt and everything could have been easily avoided. I want to see more of Kate's magical potential, but Andrews keeps teasing us with it. :(

amym84's review against another edition

With the seconad book in the Kate Daniels series we see the characters growing. We've learned their basic history and life story from the first book, but with this next installment we keep building upon what we know. The plot seems more intricate and steeped in mythology.

I completely enjoy Kate. She is a wonderful heroine, very independent and smart, yet not without her flaws which makes her an even better character. I like how she handles herself in the situations she ends up in. I like to see how she will fight or think her way out of whatever is thrown at her. Probably the best thing about her character is that she is not whiny. Life has not been the best for her. She's lost all the family she knows, she isn't rich, sometimes barely making ends meet, she doesn't have many friends, but she keeps fighting, she keeps going.

The relationship between Kate and Curran gets a new layer in this book. Readers can probably tell what will happen between them, but the road to get to that point it fun! Every scene they have together is great. Charged with sexual tension and a struggle of wills. I like the fact that there's no determining event that caused their feelings to change it just seems like it was partially instant interest and partially over time just learning about each other really made them see something in each other that they like (not that they are willing to admit it jsut yet!). The phrase "I could see we were on the same page" (or the like) was used a couple times in the book. It was good to see that for whatever differences Kate seems to think they have, they are really actually quite similar.

Kate gets a friend in Andrea in this book. It's nice for the main character to have a nice girlfriend in which to talk about feelings and whatnot with. Otherwise we wouldn't know how Kate feels about certain situations because it's something that she probably wouldn't even think about in her internal monologue. I do hope that Andrea is around for the long haul. Her and Kate are enough alike to get along, but she also has an added layer of sensitivity that Kate might sometimes lack and could learn to adapt to her own personality.

This is definitely a series that gets strong with each installment. I know that it will continue to do so, and I will surely follow!

itendswithsmut's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny mysterious tense fast-paced

jhudson's review against another edition

adventurous funny slow-paced

_distracted_by_books_'s review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

Good book wish there was more romance

katietopp's review against another edition

More like 3.5 stars. I tried to give this series another shot. I wasn’t crazy about the first installment, and I wasn’t crazy about this one either. Kate is starting to be a more interesting character as we dip into her past, but I think I have liked all the other characters more than her so far. I do very much like the concept of magic ebbing and flowing in the post apocalyptic world Kate and her gang live in though. Very interesting. I also enjoy the concept of a ward coming into play later on in the series. I will likely read the next book but I’m not desperate for it.

wolfdreamer97's review against another edition