Cinder by Marissa Meyer

nellzzzz's review against another edition

HELLO ?? I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH. I love how it was a retelling of cinderella not only that but she’s a cyborg ?? that’s literally so cool and creative. my cousin recommended me to read it and I finally did and im so mad I didn’t do it sooner. I put it off for so long I wanna go back in time and uppercut myself tbh. I loved the characters sm. cinders character was so interesting and her little companion iko I ADORED iko so much it pained me when I read that the stepmother took her apart my eyes started watering immediately bcs how could you do that to a little robot :( my heart broke. speaking abt the stepmother don’t even get me started I HATEDDDD her so much I wanted to sucker punch her every five seconds she was so insufferable for what ? it annoyed me sm how she mooched of a cinders money and then proceeded to complain that she stole from her to get a new foot ? BE SO FR RN BRUH like we all know yall wld be nothing without her money so please get out my face. every time she opened her mouth to complain I wanted to shove my head through a window. like we get it your miserable old and ugly. and pearl too she can choke hated her too. but peony omg I loved her sm it broke my heart what happened to her and I really wish there was enough time to save her I think she wldve been cool to keep in the story. the plot twists tho ? kinda crazy but im obsessed. I NEED the second book effective immediately. everything abt this book was amazing the world building the characters everything. I can’t wait to learn more abt the lunar people and what that’s all about. and OMG PRINCE KAI I CANT WAIT TO SEE HOW THEIR RELATIONSHIP PROGRESSES I SHIP THEM SO BADLY. there was times where I was reading where I had to shut my book to scream bcs of how good it was. that ending made me wanna jump out of my skin like I need that second book I must know what happens next RAHHHH.

chrystalo's review against another edition

Overall, I enjoyed this book. However, my standard for Cinderella story adaptations has been forever ruined by Ella Enchanted and Throne of Glass. This book was about a 3.75, so I'm rounding up. The prejudices that are apparent in the book are really important for YA readers to pick up on, which I appreciated, but the overall "one girl that is literally the savior of the world" trope is a bit of overkill. With that said, the action was packed, the book was a quick and intriguing read, and I will definitely be reading the rest of these books because they all have a fairy tale bent which is pretty much my unofficial book theme this year. Anyway, overall a good book with a compelling story that is worth a read.

amba124's review against another edition

I found the cute dystopian theme cinderall story really interesting bc of the fact that she’s a part cyborg and I think her relationship with the prince is cute but it’s like a friends to lovers thing kinda . AND ITS A SERIES bc they all have one villian in common but idk if I’ll read the series.. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I’m old and saggy

jonisbookquest's review against another edition

Let’s be clear about one thing: I did not dislike Cinder for the most part. In fact, I enjoyed the biggest part of it, but there were just some thing that bothered me from the beginning to the end. This will be a balanced review, with comments on the thing I did and did not like in Cinder.

Let’s begin with the characters. First of all: I did like Cinder and Kaito (God, only that name made me fall in love with him). I think they were both very believable as a character and as a couple as well. I like the fact that their relationship started as a little crush on Cinders side and then grew after they met quite a few times. Cinder was different from most female protagonist that I have encountered in modern YA and I can appreciate that (although I didn’t really like the ‘special snowflake’ vibe she gave).

But then… the additional cast – what a terrible mess it was. Every goddamn side character was a cliché. We have the mean sister and her mean mom that are basically… mean? I mean, I didn’t really see any other character trait? I get it: they are supposed to be mean (because it’s a Cinderella retelling), but still… nobody is just mean because… they’re mean. I wish their character were a bit more developed. Next to her mother and sister we have Peony, who was the typical perfect, happy sister – and that’s it. Next, we have this doctor – whose name I forgot, sorry, I’m bad with names – and I felt like his character was very… unsure? Like, I never knew what to expect from him, because I couldn’t really tell what his personality was. And, last, we have the evil queen – the most disappointing of all. Levana could have been such an interesting villain, but instead the author decided that she would just be a drunk on power evil queen, who is evil because… yeah, having the whole Earth as your slave is cool, I guess.

Next, the plot. I did like the idea and in fact, I can say it met most of my expectations. It is a little slow paced at some moments and, especially the middle, it was a bit boring at one point, but nothing too dramatic. It wasn’t like I had to drag myself through this. I enjoyed most of the scenes. But… it was a bit predictable. When you are writing a retelling, of course you lose some originality, but… you can still have some surprise elements, even in a retelling.
SpoilerI have to give credit for Kaito just completely abandoning Cinder in the end (didn’t see that one coming!), but it just can’t make up for the terrible plot twist that I saw coming the moment princes Selena was mentioned.
I also didn’t like the fact that Cinder, in my opinion, was just too special.
SpoilerLike, oh, she’s a cyborg. But you know, she’s also the love interest of the prince! And wow, she's immune to the most deadly virus there is! Oh yeah, and she’s a Lunar as well. And a princess. And she has a special technology that protects her from magic. And she can do magic too.
Like, stop. I’d rather have a protagonist that is a bit less special (I mean, I know, a protagonist has to be special in some way, but you can go overboard at sometimes).

The writing style is easy to get into, but a little bit too descriptive for me (although that’s just personal taste, really).

So, I did enjoy this novel, even if it lacked at some points in the story. I heard that the sequels are even better and I must say I am quite interested, so I will probably be checking them out as well. (And I do like the retelling of fairy tales, it just has this nostalgic feeling to it.)

magikspells's review

I would describe this book as a dystopian future fairytale with no fairies. If you read this book, that makes sense. Lets be frank though. This book was in no way shocking. I think can all agree that this big revelation in the end was not much of a shock. The hints were practically beaten over the head really early in the book.

But! Despite this, the story was so entertaining that I had to agree its one of my faves I've read this year. Not only is Cinder an entertaining and likable heroine, but Kai is such an awesome lead male. I usually hate cheesy love stories, but I was cheering for them. Kai is just so damn adorable and regal. I just can't handle it.

I'm also a fan of a book that's not afraid to kill characters. That's life, it makes things that real though sometimes it didn't feel like the deaths effected anyone for any lasting period of time.

Likable characters. Fun stories. Drama. I can't complain. It was a good read.

protoman21's review against another edition

A new take on the Cinderella story that takes some really unique and surprising turns. This isn't just a Science Fiction version of Cinderella, though several of the key points in her story are maintained. Cinder is a much deeper character who faces more than just nasty family members, but also cultural prejudices that say that she isn't even a human. Though many difficult topics are touched upon, the story doesn't become too dark because Cinder keeps an even head and manages to work towards positive outcomes. The romance with Kai is handled well, with Cinder having a legitimate reason to back away from him and try to dodge his advances, while her heart won't let her pull away completely. The politics of the land are touched upon briefly and are necessary to the plot, but they don't bog down the story. A well executed first book in the series.

emareah2's review against another edition

adventurous medium-paced

murderpigeonsgobump's review against another edition

This was so much more fun than I thought it would be, and even than I remembered it being. It was the first time in months that I started reading and didn’t put it down until I finished it even though there were definitely other things I should’ve been doing.

krasty's review against another edition

I was searching and searching and searching for another book to read after finishing the Stalking Jack The Ripper series. I wanted a one off book but just couldn’t find one. Then, I found Cinder. I read the authors duology about rumple stilt skin, Gilded and Cursed and they were phenomenal so I wanted to read more of her books and she did not disappoint. THE EMOTIONS! The anger, the happiness, the excitement. This book has freakin everything! As I was reading through the book, there were points where I audibly gasped and was like OMG WHAT?! Run, don’t walk, to read this book. I can’t wait to see what the next 3 books hold and the future of Cinder!

reverienne's review against another edition

Bless Marissa Meyer for reminding me just how enjoyable good YA is to read! Sci-fi isn't my scene, but I enjoyed this book so much. The protagonist, Linh Cinder, is a delight, and I was really rooting for her and Prince Kai. Now I'm a little bit heartbroken because I want to know what happens next to Cinder and Kai, but the next installment, Scarlet, follows a different protagonist...

My only complaints are that I feel that something is a bit off in the scene where Cinder talks to the haker (I think that it could be the haker's personality, especially the bits of it conveyed in her dialogues, she didn't... feel grounded, realistic? the way the other characters felt) and in the final scene with the doctor (here I have no clue what rubs me the wrong way because I SAW Cinder's identity reveal coming a way back...).