The Disappearing Spoon: Young Readers Edition, by Sam Kean

challenging funny informative slow-paced

laurap's review

informative lighthearted medium-paced

team_atlas's review

Kean explains everything so that anyone can understand without any background knowledge. It is informative and educational, but also easily read and not too serious or long.

thegracefulwitch's review

I had to read this book for school, and while I did enjoy reading it, it didn't encapsulate my attention enough to where I wanted to finish it. It had a lot of information and facts included, and those facts were incorporated in a matter that was interesting to read.

katie_king's review

This was a happy accident, as I added this book to my library queue without noticing that this is the Young Reader’s edition.
Although it wasn’t quite what I expected, I found the book to be an enjoyable light read - and totally the kind of book I would have devoured in middle school.
One does get the feeling that many scientists are less-than-admirable human beings, but that is rather true.

misskreads's review

Just like reading the original it was a rough start. But there is so much wonderful later on.

melissa_reads_books's review

If you have a periodic table loving kid, this is a great book. My oldest is loving it. I’ve read parts out loud to him and he’s read the rest and overall it’s been really enjoyable. It contains history and science a plenty. Note: This is the young reader’s edition, adapted and abridged from a book for adults by the same name.

sevenacrebooks's review

Full review can be found at www.sevenacrebooks.com

Fun Fact-if you ever want to read a big, complicated book only to realize it's going to be big and complicated, pick up the Young Reader's Edition instead. That's right, grown up stuff simplified for kids.
The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean is full of fun and fascinating geek facts about how the periodic table was created and all the drama that went with it.
Highly enjoyed this book and I'm so glad to have it available to my young readers at the Library. Or, adults who like their books shorter and easier to read. You know, like me.

deniset's review against another edition

informative medium-paced

amdame1's review

Lots of stories and information about the periodic table of the elements including scientists and how they discovered different elements and ideas and information about the elements, including how they designed the table itself. Young readers edition - I remember when the adult book came out because I wanted to buy it for my dad who is/was a chemist. I was fascinated then and still am now. Some of the information still went over my head even in this version, but was still very interesting. I think the science was accurate. Definitely seems like he did his research. Liked the charts and stuff, but seemed like there could have been a few more pictures and things to help make things even more clear? Appreciated that he included some people that were not very well known. Could help get more kids interested in science which is important.