The Winter Witch, by Paula Brackston

wonderumpus's review against another edition

I needed a book to draw me in - it has been so long since I've lost myself in a story. And this one did the job. Well worth the read, even just for how damn likeable the main characters are. Enjoyable.

nagem88's review against another edition

aaylajanelle's review against another edition

3.5 - I found this book to be somewhat hard to get into, but not because of lack of intrigue as is usually the problem for me. Rather, I was put off by a few things:

1. The constant switching between first person narration from the point of view of Morgana, to her husband Cai, and to the third person omniscient, was at times jarring. One does get used to it, but even nearing the end I still found myself distracted by having to guess or figure out who was going to be talking next.

2. An internal problem of my own, perhaps, was that it took me a while to really "get" Morgana, so her actions were for a time incongruous to me. I think I may have had a perception of what she should be like, as non-speaking and wild-willed as she was, so her softer acts felt out of character to me. Eventually, though, I got used to that as well and the rest of the book was fine.

3. The last 100 or so pages seemed to drag on unnecessarily. A trend with all books seems to be that the end rushes by, but this one just felt like it was being unduly slowed. I found myself skimming long passages and felt that it could have been done in half the number of pages

Despite my negative comments, overall I was pleased with the book. I'm curious to read others by the same author.

voela321's review against another edition

jenniferbbookdragon's review against another edition

Wow! Set in 18th century Wales, this book is more than just a witch coming into her own. Great character development, a love story, and finding the balance between being herself and avoiding being the target of fear and superstition.

absurtiddy's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

seeingnight's review against another edition

The second book in Paula Brackston’s witch theme novels, The Winter Witch captures a unique POV of a young witch who is mute. Brackston creates a magical world where the protagonist is challenge with romance, magic and a villain who may have been obvious from the start but definitely portrayed a great counterpart to the lead.

The Winter Witch follows Morgana, who has been mute since her father left. In hopes of finding a place away from the whispering of the town, her mother sends her to marry a drover from another village. Cai is a widower and still stricken with the loss of his wife, but sadly needs a new one because of his job. But Morgana soon learns her new home and community may be in danger because she is considered a threat by a powerful evil. After discovering her powers, she will do what it takes to protect Cai and herself from the evil that is after them.

Morgana’s character is very unique, I was curious on how Brackston would be able to portray a mute character and I felt she did a wonderful job. She used a lot of expression descriptions to show her spirit and meanings. I do however wished we got more detail in the reason for her muteness, as well as more about her father since that incident was what caused everything to begin with. She is a spirited woman who has a temper and does have to deal with a lot of troubles. But the connection for me was hard to grasp even though I really wanted to like her character. I couldn’t sympathies like I wanted too as I felt she could of done things way differently. In the end I loved the magic bits with her; it was interesting to see her development. I felt sorry for her at many points because she does have to suffer a lot of losses and I wished for her to find some happiness.

Overall the story was definitely interesting; it had a strong start that I felt slowed down in the middle, which made it hard to hold my attention. I’m a reader that likes a quick pace with lots of action and suspense one after another. I’m also a big fan of details as long as they’re not drawn out or over the top, as some were in certain chapters. The romance was a perfect pace for me, I enjoyed the development and the on and off angst that occurred throughout. However I was hoping for more spark and a connection that would make me want them together, I felt they both made mistakes and had a lot of moments where I was shaking my head. My favorite character was the housekeeper Mrs. Jones, she is Morganas ally, she helps her try and figure out about how to deal with the evil that’s after her.

In the end this story has its ups and downs but I feel it should be given a chance because the writing is beautifully done. It’s more of my nip picks that are what I look for in a story that this one just didn’t have. I like strong characters that catch my attention and a fast paced plot; I do look forward to trying another novel by Brackston as this one had lots of potential. If you are looking for a story with magic, suspense, romance, lots of mystery and a witch who is learning about her power, than this is the story for you.

fangirl_librarian's review against another edition

It was a pretty good read. It was cute. It didn't have anything that really stood out to me, the romance was cute but not amazing. The witch part wasn't as well developed as I would have liked. The villan wasn't phenomenal either. There was nothing really wrong with it, per-say, just nothing that made me love it.

ncinsley's review