Rachel Rising, Volume 2: Fear No Malus, by Terry Moore

satindoll's review against another edition

4.5 stars. This volume was really helpful in answering most of the questions the first volume raised . And the art is just on point . On to the next oneeeee.

bookwormerica's review against another edition

Wonderful, scary, funny, complex comic.

thecatwood's review against another edition

the plot thickens and twists, stays spooky and dark, and moore's art as always is emotive, and damn yo, those skills at texturing the page always amaze.

kriff08's review against another edition

I love where this story is heading - Lilith and her story completely intrigues me.

wanderlustlover's review against another edition

I want to flail my hands at this series.

As the reveals keep coming, blowing bigger and bigger, I keep having to wonder how this will all end. How dark wil it get. Who will win and how. What are the end games and goals of everyone involved, who's strong enough to be the power players. Still engrossed and still reading my way along in this game, like there's no where else I could be.

Terry Moore has me hook, line and sinker until the end of this series and every single other one he'll write.

books_with_tess's review against another edition

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE

carroq's review against another edition

Excellent continuation of the series. There are a couple of twists that I was not expecting. I feel like the characters were better defined in the artwork than the first volume.

narflet's review against another edition

12/08/16
I reread this yesterday. Now that all the series is complete, and I have all the trades, I am reading it all through as my reading the issues as they came out lapsed. I got so much more from this volume this time around than I did last time. You can see in my review from that reading, below, that I didn't understand a couple of points. Hannah and the snake, for example. I got that this time. Who Lilith resurrected. I got that too.

I was reading these as issues when I wrote the below review, so I can answer that the discrepancy with Rachel's age that I queried below was, indeed, an error and it's fixed in the tpb. Another bonus from having the tpb is getting this piece at the back (sans the red, oc), which was a print for Comic-Con in 2012:

I see the name on the grave, Mr. Moore. I see it. Nice nod.

As I write this, I've read the first four volumes. So I now get the moment that
SpoilerJet is posessed by Malus
, which I didn't get even the second time I read it through. Which, once I got it, is a big oops. What I still don't understand is
Spoilerwho resurrected Jet/how she was resurrected
. Maybe I've missed something again, or maybe it'll be explained in the coming volumes.

The mystery of how Lewis can sit around in the snow in just shorts still stands, however.

30/01/13
Bodies exploding out of graves! Amazing.

I love this story. There's a whole lot of 'what the What?!' going on still, but there are a few more explanations and clues as to what's going on. Dark, twisty stuff is going on, that's what.

However, the biggest mystery is: how can Lewis be sitting outside, in the snow, in just his shorts?!

Joking aside.
SpoilerLilith said 'I resurrected you three'. Which three? Rachel and frying-pan/cling-film girl (do we know her name? Possibly Mary Scott? But Lilith names the third as Hannah, 26 and there is no Hannah so maybe their names now are not as they were them) seem certain, based on what we know so far. So who's the third? Jet? Or Natalie? I really don't know. They were both resurrected. Lilith was around when both of them were killed. Only Natalie came back from a shallow grave in the mass grave site, like Rachel and frying-pan/cling-film girl, though; Jet was in a car accident - which could've been caused by MalusZoe or Lilith. But Natalie has the snake thing inside her, which is different and still unexplained. So, basically, I really have no idea who the three Lilith refers to are meant to be (except Rachel of course).

Another confusing point: Rachel says she's 28 to Johnny (issue 7), and then later she says she's 24 to Lilith (issue 9). Is that error, or done on purpose? Because of the nature of the story, I really can't tell.

Discovering that Earl is the perfect gentleman, and not the creep he first looks to be was so sweet.

Looking forward to more of this. I'll be reading it month-by-month now I've caught up, and that's going to be infuriating enough - I can't imagine how folks who wait to read the paperbacks will cope!

greeniezona's review against another edition

Maybe I needed something a bit less serious? Of course, this is also about evil and suffering, but more fantastically metaphorical.

This second volume reveals what we should have been suspecting: whatever supernatural spookiness that is going on is someone wanting revenge for that massive witch hunt 300 years ago. Of course, it's a little bit more complicated that that.It turns out there are two main players at work: one who wants to destroy the town of Manson, and one who wants to use Manson to destroy the entire world.

And now Rachel is on the case. I need to order the next installation!

arf88's review against another edition

The art from Moore is fantastic as usual. I do feel a couple of the characters are a bit "same face-y", but I was never confused as to who was who.

The story is pretty great as well - the plot moved along at a good pace, and there's plenty of surprises to keep the suspense, making it a very quick read. I think probably the only criticism I have is that it seems like all the mysteries have already been solved, which suggests to me the following volumes are going to be different in tone.