Supper Club, by Jackie Morrow

kcsbailando's review

emotional hopeful lighthearted sad fast-paced

tabby2920's review

emotional funny hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective tense fast-paced

Food and friendship...what more can you ask for? Told in a fast paced but engaging full of heart and laughter that are great for readers who are looking for a coming of age story of high school seniors finding themselves through real life and food.

faithlesslov's review

Thank you, Edelweiss for providing me the DRC as an exchange with honest review!

Meet Nora and two of her lovely friends who tried to have the best senior year of their lives! I pretty much like any stories that involve simple, heartwarming stories with food being served all over the pages. The story was light, typical high school teens' problems about family, friends, and academics (though not so much for the last point).

Reading this will satiate your hunger for a cute story about friendship but obviously not recommending reading this when you're hungry, it'll make you hungrier!

hannahmaecox's review

lighthearted fast-paced
this was a cute and fun story. i think i was expecting a little more depth, and maybe because it took place over a whole year it was hard to feel a deeper sense of connection, but overall it was a sweet story. i loved the art style and the monochromatic spreads!

alicia1299's review

Overall, I enjoyed this graphic novel. I had slightly higher hopes for it because I assumed the idea of sharing comfort and company over food would be a bigger part. There were a lot of open endings and I was not entirely satisfied by the ending in and of itself. I do appreciate the art and the story but I feel like the whole Supper Club aspect could disappear and be replaced with just like regular hang outs and the book would be that same. And that is what is disappointing because I love reading and talking about food. It is such a unique way to bring people together and I had hoped that the author would incorporate this more, but it fell flat for me. The food that the girls made was not talked about enough for me. Like what’s the story behind these dishes? Why are they important? Where do they come from? What variations are there? The only recipe that was thoroughly talked about was the Italian cookie recipe and I find that a little odd because there were so many other dishes that could’ve really dug into some ethnic backgrounds and history.

hexenlibrarian's review

emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

thebobolink's review

hopeful lighthearted reflective medium-paced

thebookishatelier's review

adventurous emotional funny hopeful lighthearted fast-paced

sydsquido's review

inspiring lighthearted fast-paced

This is a cute and heartwarming story of a group of friends forming a supper club to strengthen their friendship in their senior year of high school. This slim book spans the whole year and sees them through the various trials and heartaches of their personal lives and friendships. It ends up being heartwarming and very sweet, but I do wish some of the story had been fleshed out a little farther. I simultaneously wanted more of the personal life of the friends, but also more focus on the supper clubs themselves. I understand it is a heroic effort to draw a whole graphic novel, but I do wish there was just slightly more of it.

On the whole, the book feeling more like an hors d'oeuvre rather than a full meal. Absolutely delicious, but left me wanting more.

iolanthesteas's review