Absolute Blackest Night, by Geoff Johns, Ivan Reis

28hdt's review

dark fast-paced

libraryneenja's review

I've read about this but never actually read it until now. It really grabbed me, it'd have been done in one sitting if I hadn't needed to sleep. Thankfully, I knew the characters already so wasn't struggling trying to keep up with who was who. Maybe it'd have been helpful to know a bit of storyline prior to this event, but it didn't hinder the story. There were a lot of little things tossed in that I appreciated, the character interactions were great, and the art is wonderful.

aarhodes's review

It was okay. There was a lot of over explaining that ended up being really tedious. The art was good and sometimes super creepy, which added a lot to the Black Lanterns. I don't really understand the end because it was pretty much all build-up and then the climax was also the resolution? I sometimes forget...comic books, you know? It did make me more interested in characters other than Green Arrow, though, which is nice. I'm thinking Atom, Aquaman, and Hawkman.

catlandia91's review

More like 4.5 stars.

I wanted to dive into the DC universe and know more about GL, so I picked up this trade. Overall, I was able to follow the story line. It became difficult when I didn't know some of the characters/I didn't know what prior experiences were being referenced.

Loved the writing and the artwork is INCREDIBLE. Oh my goodness, the whole design just blew me away: color, lines, letters, layout, EVERYTHING.

I'm glad I finally finished, it was a great story.

depreydeprey's review

Some of the sub stories around this title (Blackest Night Flash et. al.) the gristly start of is still haunting and sets up Brightest Day very well.

cyanide_latte's review

[REVIEW TO COME AT A LATER DATE UPON A FULL BLACKEST NIGHT EVENT RE-READ.]

justinlife's review

Please take my rating with a grain of salt. I'm not a DC fan. I'm a Marvel fan. I used to read DC as a kid. My brother loved Green Lantern and I had a friend recommend this series to me. Based on my limited knowledge of DC, I dug in head first. The art is nice, the story is nice, but I didn't really care for the characters. I didn't care that some people were raised from the dead and others weren't. I had not emotional connection to them. Had I started with something earlier in the timeline, then maybe my attachments to characters would have been stronger, but alas, they were not.

tiedyedude's review

I loved the concept of acknowledging that superheroes often never stay dead in comics. I don't normally venture far from Batman-centric DC books, but I know enough of the universe to have easily followed most of what was going on here. I don't think this is a great book for people not familiar with DC comics; however, if, like me, you don't know who Dove and Hawk are, or the Atom's evil girlfriend, you will still be able to get the gist of what's going on. The art, and especially the colors, is excellent. The parts where the different lantern corps team up are beautifully colored.

Rating 4 stars instead of 5 is more of a dissatisfaction with the general inaccessibility of these massive crossover events. It wouldn't even be enough to be a dedicated Green Lantern fan because the Flash plays such a prominent role in Blackest Night. Similar to when I read Avengers vs X-Men: I can read it and mostly enjoy it, but I know I'm missing so much.

alexalovesbooks's review

FIRST THOUGHTS: Wow, I'm truly impressed by this arc! It's so clever. And it's well executed as well! Really enjoyed getting to see some old favorites and to read more about the various lantern corps!

booknooknoggin's review

You do not even have to be a fan of GL or DC comics to appreciate this epic story. Life vs Death. This book was action packed from beginning to end.